Chapter 64

"I don't want to tell her over the phone." Neymar said, when I said we should call Rafaella again. He was coming up with a new excuse every time, but I suspected he would run out of them soon. I understood why he didn't want to tell her. Alex was already gone and the chances they'd see each other again were slim. So Neymar didn't want to make the situation harder for his sister for no reason.

But there was reason. Rafaella was mad at him and if she found out he didn't tell her the truth she'd be even madder. And also, I wasn't as certain as Neymar that Rafaella and Alex wouldn't see each other again. Sure Alex had college but Rafaella could hop on a plane and join him. Okay, maybe it wasn't as easy as that, but it was doable.

"But she isn't coming tomorrow." I answered him.

"Well then maybe next time I see her..." Neymar said vaguely.

"I have an idea. Rafa is in Sao Paulo. And you wanted to take me to your house didn't you? So after the game, we have two days, we could go..."

"Um, sure." He said but didn't sound sure at all.

I decided not to push it. The game was tomorrow and since we had finally put the whole Alex thing behind us, at least between the two of us, we could focus on it. And I knew we definitely needed to do that.

I got up from his bed and he shifted to look at me. "You are leaving?" He asked sitting up. "We can go to Sao Paulo, fine." He said and it took me a second to realize the connection his mind had made.

I turned around to look at him suddenly feeling horrible. For a second I felt like I couldn't move, that my feet were nailed to the floor. I wondered how our relationship changed so much in a few days. I wished we could go back.

Finally I walked to him and kneeled beside him, taking his hands in mine. "No." I said. "If you don't want to go, we won't go. You don't have to do things or say what you think I want to hear so that I won't be mad. What I liked about us from the beginning was that we said what was on our mind, not feeling like we had to censor ourselves. I like how I feel around you and I thought you did too."

"You're right." He whispered. "I just feel like this is all my fault, this situation and I'm trying to fix it, but I'm failing miserably."

"It's not all your fault, nor your responsibility to fix it." I told him. "But... for us I think the best thing to do would be to just be us again."

He nodded.

"Think about it, what you want to do with Rafaella and everyone else." I told him. "But I'm going to tell Peter."

He nodded again.

"I'm going to find him right now, I thought maybe I should leave you to get a good rest before tomorrow. But if you want I can come back."

"Come back." He said and kissed me lightly on the lips. I smiled thinking that we would be us again soon.

I knocked on Peter's door and a few seconds later he opened it.

"Hey, what's up?" He said casually, letting me come inside but I could tell he was a little surprised to see me. And anxious?

"This isn't about Marina." I said quickly, sitting on a chair. For a second I thought he was disappointed at that but he quickly changed his expression to one of neutral boredom.

"Okay. What is it then?" He asked.

I told him everything, not just what Neymar and David had told me today, but the whole thing. He didn't interrupt me at all when I spoke but listened to me, his attention undivided.