Chapter Four

Chapter 4

“Okay, I quit. Go find a fairy godmother to help stop the Reaper. I’m backing out.”

Uncrossing my legs, I removed my sore bottom half off the bed and stretched out my muscles. As of now, Carden and I have been sitting on the bed trying to make a feather gravitate but no matter how hard I tried the damn thing refuses to float.

“Honestly, Sam, you need to stop relating witchcraft with fairies. You are not a fairy. You are a decently sized human being who just so happens to bury the gift of a witch. That, of course, is not my problem but you quitting on this makes it mine,” he said rubbing his hand all over his head.

I fell on top of the bed again, this time flat on my stomach, and stared at him. Three months. That’s how long we’ve known each other. In three months my life was changed by default. I had absolute no say in in what I’d like to call my future. Here in Rome, I was introduced to the King and Queen both of which were very different in handling my stay. Queen Elizabeth (I know, the Italian Queen of vampires has a name of former British Queens . . . and I thought my life was fudged up . . .) isn’t very fond of my visit. She was disappointed in her son for bring home, and I quote, ‘an abomination of mankind’.

If I hadn’t been scared shitless I would have defended my case but things didn’t turn out to be in my favor. She told the guards to have me removed from the palace grounds at once but then decided I’d possibly be of some worth so she told them to lock me up in the basement and forbidden any contact between Carden and I.

It sucked ass.

After only a week of starvation, the King returned home from his travels. The minute he found out who I was and that I was kept in such conditions in the basement, he had me removed immediately and allowed me to stay in the Garden house which is apparently just a fancy way of saying guest house in the middle of the garden. I was satisfied to be released and fed. After that, I kept contact with the Queen to a minimum. Carden says it’s because his dad had an affair with my grandmother Lily when she was alive and Elizabeth kind of got jealous. Long story short, she despises my bloodline and whoever comes out of it.

“I’m just tired of trying when nothing is coming out of it,” I said but my voice came out as a muffle since my face was facing downwards on a very comfy pillow.

“You can’t just give up. It shouldn’t be so hard so make the damn feather float. Just say ‘abracadabra’ and poof! The shit will fly!”

I looked up to face him, amusement in my eyes. He looked frustrated and for some reason it humored me. “You mad, Bro?”

Trying to hold in your laughter when you know you shouldn’t is very hard to do. He stood up and walked out the room slamming the door behind him. I looked over at Senior and smiled deviously. My awesome buddy just rested over at his bed on the corner of the room. I demanded Carden to get me my dog if I was going to be forced to live here. That and he have to pay rent for each month I am gone from my home.

“Should I follow him?” I asked Senior tilting my head to an angle getting a better look at him.

He whined and turned his head facing the opposite direction. I took that to offence. Rude ass . . .

I decided to go after him before prince charming got sentimental and breaks down into tears. I rushed over to the door and made my way out of the house quickly. I stopped in my tracks looking around for any sign of him. So apparently the whole vampire speed thing was true. Times like these, that kind of crap really doesn’t come in handy though.

I took a couple more steps out the house before spotting a white long sleeve shirt on the back of some very broad shoulders behind some tree about a mile from where I was standing.