Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I was sitting on the window seating area surrounded by multiple pillows inside of the rented hotel room. On me was a pair of sweats and a nice plain black spaghetti strapped tank top. I was facing the window keeping quiet thinking about all I’ve done in my life. So far, I’ve come to a conclusion that I had nothing to regret. Carden was lying down on the bed and not once has he moved his eyes off of me. Occasionally he’d look back down at his book but when I’d make sudden movement his eyes were immediately on me again. I kept peering back at him through the reflection of the mirror but took no notice to his presence. Right now he meant nothing to me. He’s marked himself’ as my murderer so I’ll keep it that way.

But to be honest, my curiosity was getting to the best of me. If I was going to die, I want to know more about vampires. Making no eye contact, I began my quest on filling out my mental questionnaire.

“How does it work?”

From the mirror’s reflection, I caught a glimpse of him arching his eyebrow before looking down at the book he was reading. “What do you mean?”

“I mean, how does it work? How does ‘being a vampire’ work?”

“How does a ‘being a human’ work?” he countered.

Touché . . .

“C’mon Carden just tell me. In so amount of hours I’ll be dead so it’ll be like you never told me anything. As of now, I’m still breathing so I’d like to know how you make being a vampire work. What is actually true about vampires?” I asked turning around my entire body to face his.

The bed was against the wall on the opposite side of where I faced. Carden had met my eyes with his own then sighed when he saw the seriousness in my face. He folded down a corner of the book before placing it on his lap and taking off his reading glasses. Now before you ask, no he’s not blind in any sort of way. He said that they are only for show.

“Okay, the one thing that is a lie is the sparkling. I will not be the person to trash Stephanie Meyers for her work but that was just blowing everything out of proportions. We aren’t coved head to toe in some sort of glitter or diamonds. We don’t shine,” he snarled rolling his eyes when I chuckled at his attitude.

“Another thing that isn’t true is the whole ‘good guy vegan’ persona you people put on our myths. You will never meet a vampire that goes out hunting out in the woods for bunnies and deer. That’s pathetic.”

I looked at him holding onto one of the soft velvety pillows. “So you only kill humans?”

He shook his head and you could see how hard he tried to not laugh. “We don’t kill humans, Sammy.”

“I saw you kill that lady. She looked pretty human and pretty dead when I ran off.”

“She was not dead,” he said running a hand through his hair. “She was a bit fussier then the others. I don’t kill my prey. I prefer using sensual tactics. I seduce the ladies, than take what I need. Once I’m done I put them in a trance and make them forget whatever had happened. She tried to fight back so I had to snap her head a little. She’ll be okay in a few hours.”

Just like that, he shrugged it off.

“So, you drink human blood?” I asked.

For some reason it didn’t sound as stupid in my head then it did when it came out my mouth. Carden didn’t mind though. He looked like he wasn’t even the same room anymore; like his soul wandered off. None the less, he answered my question.

“The blood, it’s the best part. It quenches the thirst. Then you feel it, the energy. It’s the most wicked experience you’ll ever feel. It’s power. Without it, it makes it hard for me, for us, to survive.”