Chapter 17

Silver didn't get out of bed until Espio dragged him out, even though he was awake a couple hours beforehand.

Thoughts of Espio, that he was in a group in it only for the money, attacked his consciousness. He thought Espio was this soul who was wise beyond his years and that he always had good intentions.

But as it turned out, even in the past, there were no such people as that. There never were nor could there ever be because, at the end of the day, people only cared about themselves.

"We're going to the Mystic Ruins today." Espio said to Silver as they were leaving GUN headquarters and heading towards the city's train station. "It should seem familiar because Angel Island and Eggman's base aren't too far off."

"Hmph." Was closest to a reply that Silver wanted to muster. Within a couple of minutes arriving at the station, they were already on the next train heading towards the Ruins.

Espio heaved a heavy sigh once the buildings began to thin out. "Are you upset about me being part of Team Chaotix?"

Silver stared out the window to the blur of trees, lush and full of life. "Let's just wait for the train to stop okay?" He rushed out, wanting to avoid conversation.

"It'll only make it worse the longer you push off talking about it." Espio retorted, and Silver grimaced hearing what, deep down, he knew was true. "What makes you so upset-"

"WE ARE CURRENTLY STOPPING AT THE MYSTIC RUINS." The announcer spoke over the intercom, the train breaking over a vast field of cliff-sides and empty fields.

Silver got up from his seat, grabbing onto the overhead bar to balance himself and ignore replying to Espio. With a jolt, the train stopped in its tracks and the doors opened to a wooden floor. Silver realized that the environment felt reminiscent of his own time with the barren space.

"We should get going." Silver said, walking a little too quickly out the doors into the Mystic Ruins, where the air felt fresh and warm the second he stepped out. "Do you have a lead to an Emerald in this area or are we walking around hoping to find one?" he spoke out to Espio, sensing he was behind him.

"The Commander gave me some insight as to where we might find one. Follow me." He said, pushing past Silver.

The two went down the rickety wooden stairs of the station, far less glamorous compared to the city's station. Once they were on solid ground and heading up an incline towards a mine cart, Espio said "You never answered my question from earlier. What is it that bothers you so much about my team members?"

Silver gazed around the emptiness, eyes falling on a waterfall in the small lake next to the mine cart. "Does it bother you that much to get an answer out of me?"

They were at the mine cart, and before Silver could open the small door to get in, Espio stood in front of him.

"Really? You're playing this game?" Silver exasperated at Espio's solemn and crossed stance.

"I won't let us continue until you answer my question. Why are you so bothered?" Espio demanded in his bass voice.

A couple of moments passed by before Silver sighed. As much as he was tempted to push Espio aside or avoid the question altogether, he knew his partner wouldn't let him pass by. "Isn't it obvious? Don't you remember what I said last night?"

Espio closed his eyes, annoyed at the hedgehog's persistence. "I stick by to what I said last night, except I want to add something to it."

"And what is that?" Silver's tone was as cold as his previous question.

"Vector and Charmy also do their jobs for honor, to protect people and stop crimes. Everything Vector said in his explanation of Team Chaotix is true, but they are more money-inclined than I am. We are not a greedy group by any means. In fact, we have pizza every other day because we have to spend most of our money on rent."

Silver wanted to argue against Espio's claim, because how was that reasoned by any means? You can not have much and be just as greedy as someone who is incredibly wealthy. "That's still not justified."

Espio was about to add something but decided against it. "We should go to the Mystic Ruins. We're wasting time standing here." He turned around and opened up the door to the mine cart. Silver followed in after him, then Espio pushed the lever down to let the cart go through the tunnel.

After a few moments in the darkness, Espio spoke up once again. "I know you have this vision of what true honor and honesty is, and it's true the money can determine that, but it's not the absolute truth. I'm sorry you see my team in that light, but I hope that you will see them in the way I described to you at some point."

Silver remained silent for the rest of the ride.

---

Jet awoke from his thinking when the red alarm sounded in the building.

"CODE RED; I REPEAT, WE ARE UNDER CODE RED. THE FACILITY IS UNDER LOCKDOWN FROM OUTSIDE ATTACK. THIS IS NOT A DRILL; I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL. " The automatic warning blasted in a women's voice repeated the message every couple of seconds. A crimson red light filled the room up flashed in the room at two-second intervals.

"What's going on, boss?" Storm grumbled as he woke from his nap.

Wave walked up to the tiny window. "We might have a lucky break here."

At that, the door to the prison room was destroyed with a gaping hole in the middle. The tall figure stepped through the entrance, smoke surrounding him. A moment later, Jet realized who it was.

"Can't stay out of trouble, huh Doc?" Jet said, leaning against the bars.

With the comment, Eggman walked closer to the prison cell. "I could say the same thing about you, Jet. But today, you won the jackpot."

"What did I win? And why are you handing it to me?" Jet asked with temptation dipping his voice. He had a feeling what it was, but he didn't want to get ahead of himself.

"Let's just say that I'm returning the favor," Eggman said, typing on the keypad next to the cell.

"What do you mean? We didn't get whatever it was that you wanted us to get!" Jet said, a rare moment of honesty seizing him.

Eggman turned to the hawk and there was a little smile that twinkled. "You may not have, but I still got what I needed." At that, he tapped on the keypad once more and the cell door unlocked. "But, your freedom comes at a price and you are the only ones I trust enough to follow through."

Jet grabbed onto the jail bar, leaning towards the Doctor. "And what exactly are you proposing to us?"