Chapter 12

Jet blinked out of unconsciousness to a bright fluorescent light. His head was pounding with so much pain he could barely think.

"Sir! It looks like the hawk is awake now!" Jet heard a sharp voice that only hurt his head more, bringing a hand up out of instinct.

Footsteps walk towards him. A few moments of silence except for the white noise of machinery. "Good," a harsher voice said. "I would like to talk to him in private. You may go."

"Sir." The sharp voice said before his footsteps walked away. Once the automatic door closed, Jet was alone with whoever had the harsher voice.

When his head wasn't throbbing as much as before, Jet pushed himself into a sitting position and glanced around. To his left, he saw both Wave and Storm unconscious on the ground, much like he was before he woke up. He looked to his right and his heart skipped a beat when he saw metal bars on the wall that looked cold to the touch. A prison cell.

Before he could think about the implications of being in jail, the harsher voice cleared his throat. Jet looked up at him, a man tall and stiff with graying hair. He was wearing a pressed military uniform that he seemed to display with pride on a daily basis, but part of that might have been the fact that his full height was staring Jet down. One distinct feature that struck Jet was his two different colored eyes, his left one green while the other was brown.

"I think introductions are a good place to start." The man said, his baritone voice a hint softer compared to his yelling earlier, although it implied it could burst at any second with anger. "You may call me the Commander, Jet."

His heart jumped at the mention of his name. Just as he was about to ask how he knew it, the Commander told him they looked him up when he was brought in.

"Babylon Rogues." He said as if he was about to begin a story, pacing outside of the cell walls. "You three attempted to steal the all-powerful Chaos Emeralds, cheated in an Extreme Gear tournament that wasn't even legit to get said Emeralds," he turned to face Jet, "and most recently, you three somehow got on the Space Colony ARK, government property, and learned some information that is treason for outside eyes like your own to see."

Jet felt confusion and fuzziness at that. He knew what the Space Colony ARK was, all he knew was that he was planning on going to the ARK for...what was he even trying to look for? He had no recollection of being there, or even why he would be there in the first place.

"But I don't remember that at all." He said, a bit harsher than he should have said, considering what rank this man appeared to hold.

"I would strongly appreciate it if you ended that with sir." The Commander snapped back, implying that he would not take that lightly next time.

"Yes, sir." Jet said, not bothering to hide his irritation to purposely annoy the Commander. He let it slide even though he looked like he didn't appreciate it in the slightest.

Jet could see a glint of smugness in his eyes before he explained Jet's memory gap. "The reason you don't remember that is because we gave you a serum that made you confess everything that happened. Afterward, we blocked out everything that we considered confidential from you and your friends' conscious minds."

Though Jet's mind was becoming less blurry as he was waking up, a repressed rage was starting to ignite in his thoughts. He wanted to fight them that they took his memories away, especially since they were his and the government had no right to do that to him without his knowledge.

"Why was I even on the ARK then?!" Jet snapped at him. When the Commander gave him a glare, Jet added a disgruntled 'Sir'.

The Commander began to pace around the cell again. "You and your Rogues were apparently looking for secret government information that few were allowed to see. I must admit though." He stopped by the entrance to the automatic door. "I was impressed on your final guess for the password. Old rivalry never truly fades away?"