Chapter 18

When Sonic saw the rise of smoke from GUN's headquarters, his heart dropped as adrenaline started to kick in.

"What the?" Tails asked in confusion, "GUN is under attack?"

"It looks like it." Shadow muttered under his breath, skidding a foot on the grass, "If I were to guess, that would be the work of the Doctor."

Sonic glanced at him, then looked back to Tails. "How about me and Shadow handle this fight? Tails, you go back home and get the Tornado for backup."

"Okay, I'll go as fast as I can!" His buddy exclaimed, before swirling his tails and flying away from the disaster.

"Why would Eggman attack GUN?" Sonic asked, just as the hedgehogs started for the headquarters. "Do you think it might have something to do with information about my past?"

He could feel Shadow shake his head. "The Doctor doesn't know that GUN might have information in store. And besides, he's as confused as we are...maybe he wants to try and distract us."

"Getting us distracted or finding out that information himself?"

Shadow shrugged. "Perhaps both-wait!" He held out a hand in front of Sonic, stopping both of them in their tracks.

Even though they were far enough to GUN headquarters to be away from the smoke's density and the blaring of the emergency alarm, Sonic had a feeling that they weren't the only ones there. But before Sonic could think too deeply, the wind blew away the black smoke to reveal that several buildings were destroyed by flames. Ash was falling back to the Earth as if they were snowflakes.

The area seemed just like a war zone.

"Wow, he really did a number on this." Was all Sonic could say. The thought that the files on his past could have been falling back to the ground didn't cross his mind. Instead, the thought that Eggman was able to succeed in doing an upscale attack like this with no warning was stuck in his mind like glue.

"Oh look, gang," Sonic closed his eyes and wanted to destroy Eggman's own base to give him a taste of his own medicine at hearing that annoying voice. "It's Sonic the Hedgehog."

"Jet," Sonic turned around to face the green hawk, with Wave and Storm behind him. "I have no time to deal with you now; I need to see if anyone's in there-"

"Oh, look at you trying to be the hero like always. Saving the world and people for the greater good." Jet exaggerated, agitating his rival. "Maybe you should stick to being the fastest thing on your feet since that's the only thing you're good at."

A cold rage shivered down Sonic's spine. Jet had no right to make fun of following his conscience, especially if lives were at stake and he was the only one who wanted to do anything about it.

"To calm down your goody-two-shoes attitude, no one was killed and your precious Commander is safe. Everyone was taken by Eggman, and he freed us from prison here." Jet raised his arms up to the area "All because you were too busy trying to be the hero, perhaps you're missing the big picture about what's really important."

Sonic felt the rush of the wind before he realized he was Homing Attack Jet. He managed to get the tip of his shoe to skid across Jet's right cheek, his shrieks of rage and pain filling the empty field. Sonic felt like he could have-should have-done it again, but Shadow stepped in and took initiation of the fight, throwing punches and kicks to Wave and Storm.

When Jet got back on his feet, Sonic dashed to him and copied Shadow's attacks to Jet, not as forceful though. Sonic was playing more on the defensive with those moves, but mainly using his Homing Attack to get any harm in.