The Truth can be harsh

Knuckles' POV

Tails flew us back to Angel Island in The Tornado. Cream asked if she and Cheese could come along and, with Tails really liking her, obliged.

I know why she wanted to come, though. She wanted to be with me.

I just don't know how to tell her that I don't feel that way, or that I can't feel that way.

She begged Tails to let her sit next to me, and in the end, Sonic sat up front with Tails to discuss how to tell Cream how he feels.

Cream nuzzled against me the whole way. I have to tell her at some point, but I don't want to break her heart when it's still fragile. Here goes nothing...

"Cream?" I asked. "What is it Mister Knuckles?" "I know how you feel about me. The only problem is... I can't feel that way about you." "What?! Why?" "Because, I'm a lot older than you, and that would be... Bad."

I could see her eyes getting misty, and I could hear her whimpering. I pulled her into a hug and she began to sob.

Cheese tried comforting her and I tried telling her that I still loved her, but she wouldn't listen. She broke the hug and curled up into a ball in the corner of the seat.

"Cream, I'm so sorry for making you feel like this. If it makes you feel any better, I still love you." She turned to me with a small smile on her face. "There's the Cream I love."