She looked at me, “You really don’t have one of those weird teacher fantasies?”

I swallowed, trying not to allow my cover to be blown. I shrugged, “I mean… I wouldn’t mind if you dressed up like a hot teacher and held me after class.”

“I’m serious, Sam.”

I looked at her, smirking, “Are you jealous of Miss Adams?”

She shoved me, “No… well, kind of, but I know I don’t have to worry about that. You’re not that stupid to try and get involved with a teacher.”

I laughed it off, “Yea, I know.”

She pointed towards Coach Lee, “You should go talk to her.”

I nodded, gladly dismissing myself, “See you tomorrow.”

She smiled, “Bye.”

Then I turned, walking over to Lee as I tried to slow my heart rate. That was the weirdest conversation I have ever had with Emma, and of course it had to be about Megan. I had never felt so paranoid in my life, and I usually didn’t care about anything too much.

Lee addressed me, “Sam, I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you, for agreeing to help Miss Adams with the team. It’s really selfless of you.”

I smiled, hiding the fact that it was in fact not my choice to be here, but I didn’t mind anymore. I actually enjoyed coming here, “Well, I just figured it was a good way to give back, to make up for all those years ago.”

She rubbed my shoulder, “I understand, but I can tell you’re a different person now. You’re more mature, and you should be proud of yourself for sticking through it.”

“Thanks Coach, it means a lot hearing that from you.”

She took me off to the side then, “And listen, you were one of the best centerfielders this team had ever seen. I was going to ask you to work with the new freshmen that’ll make the team in a couple days. How’s that sound?”

I sighed, “Like a big commitment.”

She patted my back, “I have faith in you. Emma will help you, along with the other upperclassmen.”

I smiled at the reference to Emma, wondering if she could see the bond her and I shared. I thought it over, realizing she trusted me and thought I was good enough to help the underclassmen. She would be busy with the infield and the hitting, and I was a pretty good outfielder…

“I’ll be happy to help them.”

She smiled, “So good to hear. We’ll talk more about it next week.”

I nodded, dismissing myself to head home, “Thanks, again Coach, it really means a lot.”