ix。by himself

CHAPTER NINE

"YOU wanted to see me today?" Jimin asked as he walked alongside Yoongi down the street. The detective had came to his apartment and offered to spend some time with him. He called it a fun trip downtown but little to Jimin's knowledge, Yoongi was just trying to gather as much intel as he could about the young man next to him.

"Of course. It's nice to have a friend around."

"You think of me as a friend?"

Yoongi raised an eyebrow. "You don't?" Jimin quickly shook his head, waving his hands in front of his face. Of course, Yoongi couldn't see, Jimin almost forgot, so he had to verbally say it.

"No! I do, I was just surprised that you did." Jimin watched as Yoongi's face didn't alter in the slightest so he tried again with explaining. Jimin scratched the back of his neck and a nervous chuckle left his lips. "Basically, I didn't think a detective like you would care to hang around me. Let's just say I haven't really had a lot of human interaction lately."

"Oh yeah? Why is that?" Yoongi asked and Jimin shrugged.

"I'm not entirely sure. I have friends, but they haven't been around. I think they went on some vacations or something."

Yoongi almost laughed. He wasn't sure if Jimin was being serious or not, but he decided to humor him. "Where to? I heard that trips to the Bahamas are becoming pretty cheap."

"You think they all went there without me? No fair, I wanna go to the Bahamas!"

Yoongi laughed again. "I'll take you there one day." Jimin was glad for a moment that the older man couldn't see, because his cheeks felt hot and probably looked like someone splattered red paint all over his face.

"That's okay, you don't need to do that." Yoongi made note of how sad Jimin's voice sounded. He only offered it as a joke so he didn't expect Jimin to take it so seriously. Maybe he was just missing his friends, but even so it didn't really make a lot of sense to him. If Jimin's friends all left on a vacation at the same time without letting him know... wouldn't he have said something about it? Who allows themselves to be left alone like that? It was all strange so Yoongi made a mental note of it as they continued to walk together.

"Still, you should allow me to do something for you. It's the least I could do," Yoongi offered and the young college student didn't really know how to refuse. So Yoongi took him out for lunch, where they held a small conversation. He learned that Jimin didn't really keep in touch with his family either, something about the possibility that they all had their phones turned off when he tried to call or maybe his phone was broken. Then there was the mention that Jimin woke up some mornings feeling like he never woke up at all... everything Jimin told him he kept in his mind to write down later because the possibility of him being linked to the case Jungkook handed him seemed to grow bigger by the day.

And once their day and came to an end the detective walked Jimin back to his apartment and shared some final goodbyes for the night. Just before they reached his door Yoongi bumped into someone. He looked at them with his glossy eyes and read the stats that popped into his mind in order to determine what kind of person they were.

"Sorry, did mean to run into you," Yoongi said with a smile, waving his hand in his face. "I'm blind, you see."

"Oh, it's quite alright! But what's a blind man doing all by himself?" the person questioned and a frown placed itself on his face.

"By myself?"

"I'd hope you'd have someone to help you or even a service dog! These streets can get busy, you know!"

"Yeah, thanks." The person left then and it took Yoongi half a second to regain himself. He looked around before calling out Jimin's name.

"Huh?" he heard behind him. It was Jimin. "What's up?"

"Did you see that person I ran into? Or hear what they said?" the detective asked.

"Uh, I saw them but I didn't hear what they said. I got distracted by some butterflies a few steps below." Yoongi made sure to pay attention to the slight shake to the boy's words and how he delivered them—something to keep in the back of his mind for later. "Anyway, thanks for taking me out! It was fun."

"Don't expect this to be an everyday occurrence though."

"Don't worry! I appreciate it nonetheless." With a few remaining farewells for the night Yoongi left with more than a few dozen questions that didn't have answers to them.