Chapter Twenty-Two: Betrothed

Start from the beginning

After nearly a week spent travelling, I came upon the palace I'd so wished to see for the past year, and upon arriving, felt as though I were at last home. I was nervous, thinking about what everyone would say. Would they be angry? Would they not wish to see me? I sucked in a deep breath, trying and failing to calm my nerves as I approached the palace doors. The guards at the door looked astonished at seeing me - Having become quite familiar with me after my endless amount of attempts to escape all that time ago.

After some convincing, they allowed me in, and I released a pent-up breath as I entered. It felt amazing to be back. Suddenly, the sound of glass shattering tore my attention to the other side of the hallway.

"Rosalie?! Rosalie is that you?!" Anthony's eyes were widened in surprise, and a vase lay at his feet, smashed to pieces.

"Anthony." I ran to him, enveloping him in a hug.

"I'm so glad to see you, I'd feared the worst." he cried.

"Anthony, you better not have broken that vase, I gave you specific orders to-" Trinity's voice was cut off as she rounded the corner, her gaze landing on me.

"Trinity!" I laughed, pulling her into an embrace, as she struggled not to cry.

"Where have you been?"

"France." I answered as I let go of her.

"Oh, you must see the others, they're all preparing for the ball." Trinity mused, pulling me through the halls and into the ballroom, as Anthony followed close behind.

The doors were opened, to reveal the faces I'd longed to see the past year. Everyone was bustling about, hardly paying any attention to us, as we descended the staircase. Once we'd reached the floor, Trinity cleared her throat, grabbing everyone's attention. Their eyes widened as they saw me.

"Rosalie. Y-You've returned!" Samuel nearly choked, as he pulled me close to him.

Suddenly, Fran, Alice, and Anne had me wrapped in a hug too. I could hardly keep from crying. How could I have left them last year? How could I have abandoned them?

"Rosie!" Dot's voice called from across the room, and I turned to see her running towards me, her brother following closely behind.

I hugged them both, as the tears, at last, broke free, flowing down my face. I laughed, wiping them away as I looked over all of my friends, who somehow looked different and the same all at once.

"Why've you returned?" Anthony asked.

"The war was over, and I realized I had to see you all again."

"I'm glad for it. Maybe this will get Samuel to stop obsessively talking about you." Fran joked.

"It really hasn't been the same without you here, Rose." Trinity said.

"The King, really hasn't been the same." Alice added, causing my heart rate to accelerate.

"I'm sorry I ever left." I said dejectedly, "But, I do have some stories from America."

"You must tell us." Fran smiled, grasping my arm.

"I will. But first, you all must tell me what I've missed."

My eyes widened, as Samuel and Trinity held each other's hands, and I raised an eyebrow at them.

"We were engaged while you were away." Samuel blushed, as Trinity leaned on his shoulder.

"You were? Guys, that's amazing!" I smiled.

"Dot and Darwin have gotten a governor, and have begun to read and write." Anne gushed, looking at her children.

"And I'll wager they're doing great." I laughed, "What else has happened?"

My brows furrowed, as everyone stayed silent, exchanging uncomfortable glances. Suddenly, the ballroom doors bust open, pulling our attention to the top of the staircase.

"You are employed here so that you can work. Not so that you can lounge about, gossiping amongst yourselves." Clara Collins shouted, descending the stairs.

I looked around at my friends, to find them quickly dispersing, as Fran pulled me away from Clara. I squirmed out of Fran's grasp, making my way to the woman.

"Rosalie Alcott?" she spat in disgust, "What on Earth are you doing here?"

"I could ask the same of you." I retorted, as Fran once again tried to pull me away.

"Not here. I'll explain in a moment." she whispered, as Clara fumed.

"It's alright," I dismissed Fran again, turning back to Clara, raising my eyebrows.

"You don't know then?" she laughed, "That's just precious."

"What do I not know? Clara, for just a moment, stop being the arrogant, sly, rude, and pompous snob that you are, and just tell me." I folded my arms, glaring at her.

"The King and I are engaged."

°•. ✿ .•°