Chapter Twenty: Go Home

.•° ✿ °•.

Once again I was hiding in the corner at a ball. The King had gone off to speak with the Baron, about the war no doubt, and I was left alone, without a single person that I knew. After our dance, I hadn't seen Sebastien, I wondered where he'd disappeared to. More so, I wondered why he'd lie to me, did I perhaps know him from somewhere else? I shook my head, dismissing the thoughts. I turned at the sound of a door creaking open, to find Clara rushing to another room in tears, being consoled by her mother. A moment later, the Baron and the King emerged from the same room, the Baron looking cross, and the King, unfazed. He made his way over to me, and I cocked an eyebrow.

"The deal did not end favourably." he sighed, coming to a stop beside me.

"What happened?"

"I'll tell you once we return home." he shook his head, extending his arm to me "But enough about business, let us enjoy the ball."

"Must we enjoy it through dance?" I whined.

"We must." he smirked, grabbing me by the arm and pulling me back into the crowd.

"Everyone will stare, as they did before." I remarked, as we began to waltz.

"They're staring at your dress, love, it's eye-catching."

"Odd compared to theirs." I shrugged.

"Some would say odd, others would say gorgeous."

"If you insist, you would know better than me what goes through these rich people's minds." I shrugged "Anyways, the stares are exceedingly uncomfortable."

"Would it please you if we went somewhere more private?" he said mischievously.

"It would please me if you asked in a less seductive tone."

"You think my voice is seductive?" he smirked.

"Je - Je n'ai rien dit de tel!" I retorted, blushing intensely, "Let us go, I'm tired of your ceaseless teasing."

"But, my dear, you're so easy to tease." he mused, pulling me through the crowd and through a set of ornamented doors.

After a few more moments spent walking through hallways we at last found ourselves in another, vacant ballroom.

"Secluded enough for your tastes?" the King asked.

"Nowhere in this mannor is far enough from the Collins, but I suppose this will suffice." I joked, "Anyways, will you tell me what happened? With the Baron, I mean."

"Someone's impatient." he laughed.

"I'm just curious."

"He asked that in exchange for money and assistance, I accept his daughter's hand in marriage... And I refused." he shrugged.

"Why? That deal would've benefited you tremendously!" my eyes widened, though I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over me.

"When I marry, darling, it will be for love, not money, status, or anything of that sort."

"I suppose I can understand that, though it can't be easy to find love as a King. I mean what with-"

I was cut off as the King wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me into a passionate kiss. My heart fluttered, and once again, I was unable to resist. After a long while, we at last pulled apart, both gasping for air.

"W-Why did you do that?" I asked hesitantly.

"Rosalie, I have found love, and whether or not you choose to believe it, I've found it with you." he professed in all seriousness.