18 - You don't have to do that

Gilbert smiled contently as he lay back down and looked up at the ceiling. Somehow, despite everything that had happened, it felt like he and Anne were closer than ever. Now that he knew the real reason why she had avoided his friendship for so long, he felt like he understood her better and it only made it him like her more, knowing that she would sacrifice her own happiness for the sake of her friends.

Beside Gilbert, Anne lay with a similar smile on her face. She was overjoyed that he had accepted her apology and made another truce. It felt good to have finally come clean about everything and she hoped she would never have to lie to him again.

Anne felt around by her side to find the blanket she was sharing with Diana. When she finally found the edge and tried to pull it over her, she could barely stretch it over one leg. Anne looked to her right and realised that Diana must have been wriggling around in her sleep because most of the blanket was wrapped tightly around her legs. She didn't want to wake her best friend so she rolled back over and curled up in a ball, trying to keep warm. Just as Anne closed her eyes, hoping to fall asleep before the cold set in, she felt something brush against her legs. She opened her eyes just in time to see Gilbert draping his blanket over her.

"Oh Gilbert," whispered Anne, "You don't have to do that."

"It's quite alright," he replied with a smile.

"Well thank you," Anne said as she pulled the blanket up to her chin. "It's very kind of you."

"You're welcome. And anyway, my clothes are keeping me quite warm." Gilbert lay back down and tried to hide the shiver that ran through him as a draft blew in under the door. He turned his head to the side and watched Anne as she settled under the blanket. When her eyes met his, he smiled fondly at her before closing his eyes, ready to sleep.

Anne watched Gilbert for a moment, glad that his eyes were closed for she was unable to hide the grin on her face. Twice in one day Gilbert had put her needs before his own. She wished she could express her gratitude with more than just a "thank you". Before she could talk herself out of it, Anne leaned over and stretched her right arm across Gilbert's torso. Her fingers found his waist as she gave him a quick and tight squeeze, hoping that her appreciation would be felt and understood.

As Anne pulled away, Gilbert opened his eyes in disbelief. He watched as she lay back down, purposely avoiding his gaze. She was embarrassed, but Gilbert knew without a doubt that she had hugged him and that it was on purpose this time. He smiled as he closed his eyes, no longer caring about the draft coming under the cabin door.

-------------

The next morning, Anne was again woken by the sun pouring through the small cabin window. She rolled over, not ready to wake up yet. As she turned, she felt a heavy weight on her body. She opened her eyes slowly and found that Gilbert's arm was draped across her. His face nuzzled at her neck and she could feel his warm breath on her skin. She gently rolled onto her side so that she was facing him. As she moved, Gilbert was stirred from his sleep. He slowly opened his eyes, a look of confusion washing over him before he remembered where he was. When his eyes met Anne's, he smiled sleepily. Anne beamed back, feeling a small flutter in her stomach as she took in his lopsided grin. "Only Gilbert Blythe could look this handsome in the morning," she thought dreamily.

A yawn broke the silence from somewhere behind Anne as Ruby and Diana began to stir.

Gilbert flashed her one more smile before he rolled away, taking his arm with him.