14 - How would I have explained myself?

Anne wanted to refuse Gilbert's offer. She could think of nothing worse than him dutifully carrying her through the snow when he so clearly begrudged her, but her foot was in agony and she knew they had to get back to the cabin somehow. Not quite able to agree out loud, Anne closed her eyes and nodded once.

A moment later, Gilbert bent down and scooped Anne into his arms. The lack of warning took her by surprise as she wrapped her left arm around his shoulders to secure herself. Gilbert's mind floated back to the night before when Anne had embraced him as she slept. If things hadn't taken such a drastic turn this morning when they woke, Gilbert would have inwardly rejoiced that Anne had wrapped her arms around him not once, but twice. Now, of course, he knew that there was no feeling behind it. It was simply circumstantial. Gilbert decided not to dwell on his disappointment any longer and focused on his footsteps as he marched through the snow.

Anne didn't quite know what to do with herself as she bounced along in Gilbert's arms. Again she found her face just inches from his and as he carried her, she found it difficult not to stare. Never before had she noticed the cluster of very light freckles on the bridge of his nose and his eyelashes were much longer up close, briefly catching snowflakes before blinking them away again. Anne's eyes moved up to Gilbert's hair. She noticed that each of his dark curls twisted in a different direction, moving independently of one another and catching the light of the winter sun. Instinctively, she lifted her hand from Gilbert's shoulder and reached up to run her hands through his hair.

"Are you okay?" asked Gilbert when he felt Anne's hand move. "Are you comfortable?"

"Yes, thank you!" Anne's face flushed a deep red as she stammered out her response. She couldn't believe that she had almost touched Gilbert's hair although she was relieved that he had interrupted her before she'd had the chance. "How would I have explained myself?" she wondered.

As Anne considered the possible explanations that she could have given Gilbert if he had caught her touching his hair, she realised that she still hadn't explained the conversation he had overheard that morning.

"Gilbert," she started tentatively, "There's something I need to tell you."

Gilbert did not hear her, however, for he was distracted by something up ahead.

"Look, Anne!" he said excitedly. "There's the cabin!"

A/N - sorry its a slightly shorter update today.  I figured this is better than nothing and there's more to come.

I also just wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who has commented and voted so far.  I'm really glad you are enjoying it.  If it wasn't for your encouragement then I would've given up so thank you! :)