16 - Oh no

Anne stood up slowly, leaning on Diana for support.  "You'll have to turn around," she said to Gilbert, motioning towards her stockings which would have to be removed. 

Gilbert nodded as he stood up, turning to face the small window and allowing Anne some privacy. 

Anne bent down and untied her boot.  She could feel her ankle throbbing as she gently removed her shoe, so much so that she had to squeeze her eyes closed to prevent a tear from rolling down her cheek. 

Diana continued to steady her as she gracefully rolled the stocking down her left leg.   Anne held her breath as she reached her ankle, anticipating the pain of removing the tight fabric from her foot.  As her bare ankle emerged it was Ruby who let out a loud gasp causing Gilbert to turn around too soon.  His face flushed red as he found Anne to still be undressing but his embarrassment was quickly forgotten when he saw her injured foot.  Ruby's gasp was understandable as Anne's ankle was at least twice the size that it should have been and was covered in deep purple bruising.  Gilbert dropped to one knee in front of her to take a closer look.

"Anne," said Gilbert softly.  "This must be incredibly painful."

"Yes, quite," Anne replied bravely.

Gilbert lifted his right hand and gently ran his index finger across Anne's swollen ankle.  His finger felt like an icicle against her burning skin and she jerked her foot away instinctively.

"Cold!" she explained, "Sorry!"

"That's okay," Gilbert said sympathetically.  "You've sprained it quite badly, Anne.  It's no wonder you couldn't put any weight on it." 

Anne watched Gilbert admiringly as he gently turned her foot from one side to the other, carefully examining her injury.  He was still holding her when he eventually looked up at her, shaking his beautiful curls from his forehead.  Anne was taken aback by how big his hazel eyes looked as they bore into hers.  

"You're going to be a great doctor, Gilbert," declared Anne sincerely.  Her eyes immediately widened as she realised she'd said it aloud.

"Thank you," Gilbert smiled bashfully.  He was unaware of Anne's embarrassment for he was overjoyed to have received a compliment from her, especially one that praised something he was working so hard to achieve. 

"Well, now for the Doctor's orders!" Gilbert said with a chuckle.  "We'll need to create an ice pack.  Ruby, will you take the cloth from the pastries and collect some snow from outside?"

Ruby nodded and quickly set to work following his instructions.

"Diana," he continued, "Will you pile up the blankets on top of your basket so that Anne can rest her foot on them? Anne, you must sit with your leg raised in order to help the swelling go down.  The icepack will help with that too."

The girls followed Gilbert's instructions and soon they were all settled back in the cabin.  They again sat in a small circle, Anne with her foot raised while Gilbert held the icepack in place.  As they chatted, Anne glanced frequently at Gilbert.  She didn't deserve his kindness, not after the horrible things she had said about him that morning, but the fact that Gilbert was still willing to risk his own safety to find her, carry her all the way back and examine her injury showed just how good a friend he was.  Anne promised herself that the next time they had a moment alone, she would apologise profusely and swear never to forsake him again.

Anne was so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed how dark it had grown outside. 

"I think it's time for bed," said Diana decisively as Ruby let out a yawn. 

Gilbert gently lifted Anne's foot from the pile so that the blankets could be handed out again.  "Here, lets wrap this around your ankle to keep it cool," he said to her holding up the cloth from the icepack which was now melted. 

As Anne watched him apply the make-shift bandage, she was unaware that her friends had assumed the same sleeping positions as the night before.  It was only when she turned to find a space that Anne realised she would be sleeping next to Gilbert again. 

"Oh no," Anne thought with dread as she lay down next to him.