4 - Even if they were lost

After dismounting the train, the group made the decision to cut through the forest.  It would be too difficult to follow the train tracks because of the deep snow and Anne had insisted it would actually be a shortcut to their homes.  She led the way with Diana and Ruby behind her and Gilbert at the back.

"There are still a few hours of sunlight left," Ruby said cheerfully.  This pleased Anne as she had anticipated that Ruby would be the most likely to worry and ruin their fun adventure. She was glad to hear her being positive for once.

"And the snow is so white it seems even brighter than summer," added Diana.  "Oh, wont we have the most thrilling stories to tell the others when we return to school next week?"

The group marched on through the snow, excitedly discussing their adventure and imagining how impressed their friends would be when they heard about it.

As Gilbert walked he didn't say much.  He simply watched the back of the redhead at the front.  He loved listening to her voice, especially when it got all high pitched when she was really excited about something.  Her laugh sounded even sweeter in the empty forest with no other noise to inhibit it.  He smiled to himself as they walked, glad he had taken the last train home.

-------

An hour later, the mood had noticeably dropped.  Trudging through the snow was hard work and they were making much less progress than anticipated.   The excited chatter had subsided and the sound of footsteps crunching in the snow was all that could be heard.

The silence was soon broken by Diana warily asking the question on everyone's minds.  "Are you sure we haven't passed this way already?"

"Quite certain, Diana" said Anne through gritted teeth.  She had her heart set on this adventure and she would not allow the others to spoil it.  "Even if we are lost,"  thought Anne miserably.

"Sorry," Diana apologised, "It just all starts to look the same after a while."

"It does all look rather familiar," Ruby added unhelpfully, "You know, tree after tree and snow after snow?"

Gilbert could not see Anne's face from where he walked at the back of the group but he guessed that she was getting frustrated – partly by the other girls' questions and partly because they might actually be lost. 

"We definitely haven't been this way already," he said encouragingly, "If we had, we'd see our foot prints in the snow."

Anne looked over her shoulder and flashed him a grateful smile.  It was so quick that Gilbert didn't even have time to smile back but he was glad to have been of help.  Sometimes Anne was so fiercely independent that she would refuse help even when she needed it.  Maybe she was starting to let him in!  Maybe this was his chance! "What else could he do to help?" wondered Gilbert.  

As the group traipsed on, Gilbert noticed how quiet it was.  "That's it!" he thought "It's so dreadfully quiet, I should think of something to talk about!"

The only problem was that Gilbert wasn't sure what the girls would like to talk about.  Some of the girls at school liked to talk about cooking and sewing but Gilbert was certain that wouldn't impress Anne.  He could talk about how beautiful the scenery was but that wouldn't distract them from their present situation.  Suddenly he remembered that he'd interrupted the girls' conversation when he met them on the train. 

"So," he began, "what were you saying Anne was so smart about when I met you on the train earlier?  Is there another subject I might be rivalled in at school?"

As he asked the question, Anne looked back over her shoulder.  This time, however, she was not smiling.