1 - You sure are smart

"I wish we didn't have to leave so soon" said Anne wistfully as she took her seat on the train.

"Same," agreed Diana, taking the seat opposite. "But it was so lovely to see Cole and Aunt Josephine, even just for an afternoon". I'm very glad they get along so well. I think Aunt Josephine enjoys having company in the house again. I'm sure she was quite lonely when Gertrude passed away".

"I cannot bear to think about it," Ruby said dramatically as she adjusted her skirt on the seat next to Anne. "Why, all I dream about is falling in love! I can't bear to imagine finding that love and then losing it".

Diana leaned forward and put a hand on Ruby's arm as she tried to think of something comforting to say. Ruby had always been her most sensitive friend and Diana knew she should say something before Ruby had too long to dwell on the matter. She looked hopefully towards Anne who always knew the right thing to say.

Anne was looking out of the carriage window, lost in her thoughts as passengers milled on the platform outside. The conversation reminded her of John Blythe's funeral. She cringed inwardly as she remembered telling Gilbert he was lucky to have known his father at all. She had meant well but her words just didn't come out the way she had intended. For someone with such a vast vocabulary and strong connection to words, she sure did have a way of forgetting them all whenever she spoke to Gilbert Blythe. Thankfully he had forgiven her faux pas, telling her it was "water under the bridge". Anne smiled to herself as she remembered how her apology had led to their truce and something of a friendship had begun between the two.

The sound of a whistle outside startled Anne from her thoughts.

"It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all," announced Anne. Diana smiled gratefully at her friend. She did always know the right thing to say.

"As someone who didn't experience any kind of love until recently," continued Anne, "I can say quite confidently that I am grateful to have received it at all. When I was younger and understood much less, I used to feel envious of those who were born into loving families with parents and siblings who showed them unconditional kindness. Now I realise that we cannot choose who will love us or for how long, but we can appreciate it for as long as we have it."

"I suppose you are right," said Ruby thoughtfully. "You sure are smart about a lot of things, Anne".

"She sure is," came a familiar voice from behind Anne and Ruby. "Is this seat free?"

Anne and Ruby's heads turned in unison just as Gilbert Blythe arrived next to them, signalling at the spare seat next to Diana.

A/N - this is my first ever time on wattpad - tell me what you think so far