12 - Where is Anne?

As Gilbert, Diana and Ruby fought their way through the blizzard, they were unaware that Anne was missing from the back of the line. Soon, a dark, rectangular shape began to emerge through the haze of snow.

"Look!" shouted Gilbert excitedly. "It's the cabin!"

As he turned around to celebrate with the girls, the smile immediately fell from his face.

"Where is Anne!?" he asked seriously.

"What do you mean?" queried Diana as she looked to where her friend should have been. "Oh no, we've lost her!"

Tears welled in Ruby's eyes as concern for her friend overwhelmed her. "We have to find her! Let's go back!" she suggested, taking a step in the direction they had just come from.

"No, its too dangerous," argued Gilbert. "You two go and wait in the cabin. I'll go back for Anne."

As he took off towards Anne, Gilbert called one final instruction over his shoulder; "Light the fire! She's sure to be cold!"

-------

Anne picked herself up off the ground. She knew she had to keep moving forward, despite the excruciating pain in her ankle. She tried to put as little weight as possible on her left foot but the deep snow made it all the more difficult to limp. Nevertheless, she hobbled along slowly, not one to succumb to difficulty.

______

Gilbert's heart was beating out of his chest. It could have been because he was tearing through the forest as fast as his legs, and the deep snow, would allow him but the real reason for the pounding beneath his rib cage was the sheer terror he felt at that moment.

There was no use in denying it anymore. Gilbert loved Anne. His previous attempts to mask his feelings had all been in vain as he rushed towards her, risking his own safety in his attempts to find her.

------

Anne's perseverance was waning as the ache in her foot grew. She could see how little progress she was making and knew it wouldn't be long before the pain was too much to bear. She rested for a moment on her hands and knees, relieving her foot of her weight. Anne closed her eyes and silently prayed that the others would notice she was missing, and if they did, that they would be able to find her soon.

God must have taken mercy on her in that moment for seconds after she finished her plea, a familiar voice cried out her name.

"Thank goodness you're safe!" Gilbert sighed as he sank to his knees in the snow in front of her.