Conflicting emotions swirl around in my mind. I'm not mad that she likes my brother. It would be nice to see them both happy together, but what gets me is how she kept such a big secret from me, and for how long? Guilt suddenly overwhelms me as I think about how maybe it's my fault. Was she scared to approach me? We've always been open with each other with everything. What's changed? Does Molly know?

A soft knock on the door disrupts my thoughts. I quickly turn off the sink and ask, "Who is it?"

"It's me," my dad's voice was muffled through the door. I hesitantly open it and see him leaning against the door frame.

"I was just checkin' on you and seeing if you like your party."

I nodded, "Yeah. It's great, dad. Thank you."

His brows pushed together as he cocked his head sideways. "I was hopin' that you would tell me what was wrong. I can hear your heartbeat, kiddo, and it's goin' awfully fast for someone who is having a good time."

What?

He can hear my heartbeat? Dad and werewolf together is not good. I audibly sigh and follow him to the couch in the living room, where I sit down next to him. I stare down at my fingers on my lap for a little bit.

"Come on. Spit it out," my dad encouraged while nudging my shoulder.

"I just found out that Savannah has been keepin' a big secret from me, and I'm kind of mad, not about the secret itself, but because she kept it from me. We have told each other everythin' for as long as I can remember. I just don't understand." I turned and faced my dad, who was staring at me with his kind eyes.

"Well, everyone has secrets, Rae. I'm sure you even have ones that you haven't told Savannah. Maybe it was just somethin' that she didn't want anyone to know, even you or Molly. I'm not sure what it is, but maybe she's scared or embarrassed. You know how she is with things. She's a lot like her mom in that sense," my dad explained and rested his hand on my shoulder to comfort me.

Maybe he's right, and I'm overreacting. I'm a hypocrite. I do have secrets that I have kept from her. Her and Molly have no idea about Wesley, so I have no right to be mad about her keeping her secret about liking my brother from me. It's not fair to her. I do know that I need to talk to her about her and my brother. It must be a big deal if she hasn't told us. Knowing Savannah, she's probably scared because she's never had a boyfriend or been kissed before.

"You're right. Thanks, dad. I really missed talkin' to you." I gave him a smile and rested my head against him. It's been awhile since we've talked like this.

He kissed the top of my head. "I missed talkin' to you too."

We sat like that for awhile as thoughts filled my head. Now that I'm no longer upset about my best friend, another matter made it's way back into my mind.

Rhett.

Him and that weird, cryptic message keeps bothering me. I can't figure out what he is talking about or why he can't just be a big boy and use regular words that I can understand. He's so frustrating. But, I'm still thinking about kissing him. Why? My heart has always belonged to Wesley, but suddenly that "almost kiss" is plaguing me.

Not being able to stand it anymore, I lifted my head up and turned to my dad. "Can I ask you somethin'?" Maybe it's a werewolf thing, or maybe I need another perspective. If anyone would know, it would be him. He used to be a science teacher after all.

"Yeah. What is it, kiddo?"

"Why would the moon be considered dark if it brings light to the world at night?"

He chuckled, "That's a strange question." He hummed and looked as if he was thinking. "My guess would be that the light from the moon is a reflection from the sun, so only a part of the moon shines light onto Earth. The other part of the moon that faces away from the sun is in darkness." He shrugged after giving me his guess.

"So, like the moon gives us light, but also has darkness?" I asked with a quizzical look on my face.

"If only I wasn't dark like the moon."

Is Rhett trying to say he has darkness? That there's a dark part of him no one sees?Everyone has a dark part of themselves, so why does that matter? Does he think he will hurt me? I honestly don't see him hurting anyone. Rhett may not see it, but he is a good guy.

My dad agreed, "I guess you can say that. Why do you ask?"

I bit my lip. "No reason. I was just curious."

He let out a laugh. "You haven't changed. You've always been curious about everythin'. Always asking 'why'." He patted my shoulder and grabbed my hand, helping me up. "Come on. Let's get back to your party. They're probably wonderin' where we ran off too."

I simply nodded, and we joined the party again. I sat down at my table and made small talk with my friends and brother. Soon, everyone but Rhett joined us as we played cards.

A few hours later, it was time to leave. Savannah and Molly already got into the car, but I had to say bye to my dad and brother first. Squeezing my dad tight, I stated, "Thank you again. I had fun." I pulled away and was engulfed into a quick hug from Sawyer.

"I'm glad you did, kiddo. Drive safe, okay? Call us if you need anythin'."

I gave him a smile and nodded. Sawyer and my dad walked inside, leaving me alone. I started tp turn to walk to the car that was about 20 feet from me when I spotted Rhett standing in the doorway to the house. Our eyes locked immediately, and I noticed his were slightly glowing. I wanted to talk to him about what he said, but I don't think he will listen, and I don't want to push him away. For some reason, it feels like Rhett doesn't like to get close to anyone. I just can't leave without saying something to him though.

I thought back to our conversation earlier about stars. "So, you're a star guy, huh?"

It was then that I realized what I needed to say to him—something that maybe he would understand.

So, I said softly, "Stars can't shine without darkness."

Then I turned around and got inside the car, hoping that I said the right thing.