"It was okay, dad got me a new car for my birthday because we were stuck in the hospital on the day of," she shrugged and turned to the burgundy metal door beside her, quickly turning the dial with her combination and opening it up.

"Pft, yeah you definitely made an entrance with that beauty of a vehicle," Maddy smiled at Avery and Kelsey rolled her eyes.

"We could hear the engine a mile down," Kelsey mumbled and Avery let out a chuckle. Her laugh died down when she began sifting through her locker, a picture of her with both of her parents was tucked into the top right corner of the cramped space. She stared at it for a few seconds before shaking her head and opening up her backpack to empty out the binders she wouldn't need until after lunch. Kelsey sighed beside her.

"Aves, why don't you just take that picture out? There's no point in keeping it there anymore," Kelsey said softy and Maddy nodded.

"I know," Avery whispered and then shut her locker. "I have Mr. Johnson for homeroom, what about you guys?" she changed the subject swiftly and the other two girls smiled.

"I guess we all get to stare at that hunk of a man then," Kelsey smirked and now it was Maddy's turn to roll her eyes.

"He's engaged," she said annoyingly and Avery laughed at the exasperated expression that crossed Kelsey's face at the thought of their homeroom teacher being taken.

Kelsey made a comment about how engaged doesn't mean married and they all laughed as the warning bell rang, signaling the official start of senior year. Avery listened as her friends continued to gossip about who they thought would hook up or break up this semester, why the captain of the soccer team was so yummy and what classes they thought they could pass with minimal effort.

Throughout the whole walk, Avery just wasn't really there. Her thoughts were on the picture in her locker. Every time she tried to throw it away, something had stopped her. The last time it had actually made it into a trash can but Avery had turned back around and picked it right back up. The girls turned right at the end of the hallway, Avery falling a bit behind with the thoughts that were consuming her.

She kept her head down as she turned, which ultimately ended up being a bad idea. She hadn't seen the other person turning in the opposite direction and ran straight into them, her body tipping backwards until her back painfully slammed against the metal lockers behind her.

Her frazzled mind looked up, an apology ready on the tip of her tongue, but her gaze met a chilling glare of emerald green and her breath caught in her throat. The boy in front of her looked as if he wanted to burn her to ashes, his eyes were murderous slits and his full lips were set into a hard line.

Her eyes danced across the perfectly symmetrical aspects of his square jaw, his high cheekbones and straight nose, which had a silver hoop piercing on one side. His dark brown hair sat messily on his head, some curls falling over onto his forehead. She knew that he was new, there was no way she would ever be able to forget someone so beautiful.

When she finally got her thoughts back in order, she straightened and cleared her throat. "I'm so sorr-" but she never got to finish her sentence.

"Watch where you're fucking going," he spat out and fixed the strap of his backpack. Her eyes trailed over the black hoodie he was wearing and she noticed the fresh ink that was tattooed upon the skin of his hand, the face of a man with intricate patterns that reached his fingers. But before she could get a good enough look at it, he turned and disappeared around the corner.

What seemed like an eternity to Avery, only lasted mere seconds. This she realized when Maddy and Kelsey turned around only a few feet ahead and called for her to catch up. Avery shook her head and tried to rid her mind of the strangers face and cold glare as she walked to meet up with her friends.

"You okay?" Kelsey asked as they continued towards homeroom. She was not okay. Her life was falling apart at the seams and now she was sure her back would have a bruise from her romantic meeting with the metal lockers, none of these which she voiced.

"Do you know anything about a new student?" she asked instead and Kelsey shook her head. Disappointment blossomed in her stomach at not knowing what the boys name was, until Maddy perked up beside her.

"I think Kaleb Somers cousin moved in with him about two weeks ago," she said and shrugged, "maybe he transferred in?" Avery nodded absentmindedly.

"How do you know that?" Kelsey asked, her head slightly tilted to one side to see Maddy better.

Maddy just shrugged again, a small smile on her lips and a subtle blush creeping up into her cheeks as she mumbled about how she heard it in the halls. Both girls noticed how Maddy glanced quickly around the halls until they made it to Mr. Johnsons door, there was something she wasn't telling them.

♡♡♡

new update? wow I'm on a roll, huh? I've had free time in the afternoons to write and so here we are!

what're your thoughts on Maddy and Kelsey? their friendship? I'm not sure who to cast them as so give me ideas!

Sandy