5

With one final bite, Avery finished her fifth slice of pepperoni pizza and dramatically groaned. Maddy and Kelsey were both splayed out on the floor of her bedroom with their eyes closed and clutching their stomachs.

"Why do we always do this to ourselves?" Maddy complained, her voice coming out muffled from where here face was smushed up against the fuzzy dark grey rug that was beneath her.

"Because we hate ourselves," Kelsey mumbled out as she tried to sit up, crawling over to where Avery sat leaning against her bed. After she visited her father in the hospital earlier that evening, she had called the girls and told them to start heading over.

Now, two large pizzas and a Mean Girls movie later they were ready to do absolutely nothing for the rest of the night, except lay there like mummies and maybe gossip.

Avery's phone lit up with a notification saying that Kai Lancer had updated his status. When Facebook had finally loaded she scoffed at the sight in front of her and threw her phone into Kelsey's lap.

"Read that out loud please, including the first comment," she told Kelsey and Maddy moved her head so she could see them better. Kelsey raised an eyebrow but picked the phone up regardless, her own scoff sounding through the room.

"Kai Lancer has updated his relationship status from It's Complicated to Single," Kelsey read the status update and tapped something on the screen, "and of course this bitch said something."

The exasperated tone in her voice caused Maddy to finally sit up and make her way towards her friends by the bed. "Give me that," she snatched the phone from Kelsey's hands and her brows furrowed as she read what was on the screen.

"Rebecca Whitmore commented that she can't wait to hang out with him at her back to school party and then put a winky face? She's got balls, I'll give her that."

Avery shook her head with a laugh, Rebecca had been trying to get Kai to notice her since Sophomore year when his muscles filled out and he grew 5 extra inches. Her excuse was that since she was on the cheerleading squad and he was on the football team it would just make sense.

She was livid when she caught Kai and Avery in a heated make-out session at one of his football games at the beginning of Junior year. Ever since then, all she'd received from Rebecca were pointed glares and snarky comments, neither of which ever bothered her.

Kelsey took her black hair out from the bun that it was in, the slight waves falling down the middle of her back. "Guys can we go to sleep now?" She asked as she stood up and dusted off her pajama shorts.

Avery pushed herself off the floor and held a hand out for Maddy and helped hoist her up.

"I call dibs on the pullout couch!" Kelsey quickly said and moved across the room to the small couch Avery had sitting in her room.

"Alright Mads, you get the comfy bed with me then," she said with a chuckle and Maddy beamed. Avery's room was not what people must have expected it to look like, it used to have baby pinks walls with pastel purple accents and an all white bed spread that gave the room a girly look.

But after her mother left, she didn't want anything to look the way it did when she had been there. She figured that in order to move on, she had to start over. So she painted her walls dark grey, added black and white accented throw pillows on her silver bed set and had all her furniture replaced from the beautiful mahogany it used to be, to sleek black drawers and side tables.

"Okay girls," Avery said as she walked over to the light switch by the door, "lights out." All three girls mumbled their goodnights once they were showered in darkness. Avery set up her alarm for school the next morning and then opened up her Facebook app and went straight to the edit info tab.