Chapter 11 - Anti-Social Situations

Hey everyone!

I am soooo sorry for the massive delay on this chapter... I have not had much time to work on this story over the last few weeks, the reason being that I am currently editing a brand new novel (not one on Wattpad) that I'm hoping to send to traditional book agents and it has been taking priority at the moment. I guess it is my own fault for taking on two massive projects at once PLUS I'm working on recording and vocal editing the Audiobook version of "Reasons To Love A Nerd Like Me" so my attention has been a bit scattered!

BUT I am really loving this new merman world and I'm so happy that there are people reading it so even though updates are slow, I do plan to finish! Thanks so much for being patient and sticking with it :) Hope you enjoy the new chapter - here is a picture of the newest character in the mix, Maryssa!

(Yep, it's Jessica from True Blood haha!)

Let me know what you think of this installment! Lots of love!

Becky xx

---

Chapter 11

Anti-Social Situations

"We, err... We just..." I stood up and brushed the sand from my legs. Staring down at my own calves rather than looking straight at Keiko. "We just came to get a little bit of air, that's all. We've been stuck in the house all day. I would have called, but I didn't think you'd even be allowed out the house."

Keiko's expression instantly softened. "Ah, right. I've actually been wearing my parents down a bit with the whole curfew thing. They've allowed me a few hours a day as long as I keep on top of revision. I'm on a constant timer though." She gave a tiny laugh at the ridiculousness of her situation then turned her gaze downward to Kye. "Hi there. You must be..."

He sprang up to shake her hand. "Kye. It's so nice to finally meet you."

I wasn't sure if handshakes were common in the merpeople world or whether Kye had learned the gesture from studying humans in the wild. His grip was firm and incredibly enthusiastic. I was willing to bet it was his first ever attempt.

"Erm, you too," Keiko replied, slightly taken aback. "Lennon's been telling me about you. How are you doing?"

I inwardly willed Kye to remember our cover story. That he was a friend of the family recovering from a breakdown. That he was fragile. Right now, his actions were anything but...

"Good," he answered. "Better. Much better now."

OK, that worked. Kind of. I watched Keiko's reaction, trying to figure out if she was buying any of this. I couldn't tell. I guessed if all else failed we had Kye's swirly-eye voodoo magic to fall back on, but I really hated the idea of deceiving my best friend with supernatural tactics.