{Fourteen} I Can Make It On My Own

Start bij het begin

I was about to turn my back to the room and run when I felt a hand gently cuff my wrist. Lifting my head, I met the warm brown eyes of an elderly woman.

"Hello! I'm Millie! It's always great to see a new face around here! I love knowing that there are girls out there that are trying to help themselves." She added the last part as more of an afterthought, reading the confusion and horror in my expression.

"Hi." I murmured.

She leaned forward, her gray hair tickling my cheek, as she strained to her my inaudible whisper.

"Well, do take a seat, sweetheart! There's food in back as well, help yourself!" She squeezed my shoulder in a comforting mother-like gesture and fell into a seat in the middle of the group. Millie caught my eye again, smiling and nodding toward the vacant seat opposite of her. I threw a long glace back at the door behind me, before taking a deep breath and joining the group of women.

Most were in the midst of loud, pointless chatter about their lives. If I had met these women or seen them walking the streets, I would have never assumed they were a victim of assault.

But I guess it's easier for some to hide their battle wounds.

I shifted once in the uncomfortable hard chair, my eyes on the door as a few more people entered the room, one of them a young male that didn't look to be much older than me.

A girl dropped into the seat beside me before I could protest, outstretching her hand with a friendly smile. "Hi, I'm Bianca."

I took her hand in my own, fearful it might be sweaty.

"Nice to meet you." I responded. I knew I should have introduced myself, but it was likely I wouldn't be returning and what good would it do anybody knowing my name if they'd never see my face again.

Bianca waved over at Millie, grinning. I could feel my stomach settle a little at the normalcy of the scene. They looked like nothing more than two women catching up after years of being apart.

Bianca's hair, a dyed blonde with caramel highlights, cascaded her shoulders and fell into her mouth every time she leaned a little too far forward, resulting in her hand batting it out of the way and a quiet laugh escaping her every few minutes. Finally, after watching the interaction between the two for a couple minutes, I leaned back in my chair with my arms crossed, trying to devise an escape plan.

The process was cut short when Millie rose and walked across the room, gently pressing the door shut. I straightened, my stomach and chest clenching in unison.

I knew I could get out if I stood and bolted then and there, but my legs felt as if I'd attached ankle weights to both and couldn't move them an inch.

"Looks like we have a few new faces here tonight! Welcome!" Millie looked from me to a few other women within the circle.

Bianca snuck a look my way, her bright red lips curving into a reassuring smile when she saw my obvious discomfort.

"Hey, don't worry." she said, nudging me with her shoulder. "I know this is really freaking you out, all of us went through it. We felt just as trapped as you do. But I promise it gets easier sitting here with time. Relax a little."

I stared at her for a minute before rubbing my sweaty palms against my thighs, breathing out a heavy sigh. My eyes, squeezed shut, remained that way for a couple seconds as I tried to calm myself, before I forced them open again.

I leaned back into the chair and slumped down a little, arms wrapped around myself, and looked over my shoulder at the door once last time before redirecting my full attention back to the women, and boy, surrounding me. 

***AN***

Hope you guys enjoyed! Sorry for the late update!

Let me know what you think/thought!

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.