Chapter Seventy-Four: Favor

Start from the beginning

I'd hug her tightly before moments later I would find my arms only wrapped around myself.

I knew it wasn't true. I knew Akane wasn't dying in my arms yet every time I saw her turn to ash it'd only feel more real.

Curse you, Rido.

I needed to escape. I needed to protect her. Who knows what she must be going through, seeing me but knowing it's Rido.

I wouldn't let him hurt her.

....but what can I do? I was stuck in this never ending nightmare of seeing the one I love most perish before my eyes time and time again.

This nightmare wouldn't become reality.

Would it?

Akane's POV

When I got back to my dorm I shut the door behind me and instantly smiled. I never thought I could be this happy about my sister. I never even thought I'd be able to love her so much.

I wanted a sister and now I had one. It made me happy. It even made me happy knowing that even when I'm going through this dark time she'd be there for me. Even though she was just awakened and is seeing her life through new eyes.

"What are you so giddy about, Akane?"

Arms suddenly wrapped around me from behind. I hissed under my breath which made the figure chuckle.

"Let go of me, Rido."

"Where oh where did this confidence come from?" he asked as he released his grip on me. "You do know who you are talking to, right?"

I looked away. "What do you want?"

"Why do you think I always want something from you, hm?"

I glared at him out of the corner of my eye.

He frowned. "You're no fun."

In the blink of an eye, Rido had me in an arm lock. Whenever I'd move, he'd only make it tighter.

"I won't say you're wrong, Akane." I felt his breath on my neck. "There is so much I want from you."

"Stop toying with me—" Rido bent my arm further, causing a piercing pain to travel up my body and making me silent.

"That's more like it," he cooed. "You need to learn your place, my dearest Akane. Don't go thinking that just because you have someone there for you that you have power."

I stayed silent after that. If I overstepped my boundary, who knows what he would do to Senri. Who was I kidding? Yuuki wouldn't be able to help me out of this scenario.

"This whole time I've hardly been able to control myself...." His voice trailed off as he licked my neck. "A little bite wouldn't hurt, would it? I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I take some in this body...."

I wanted to struggle but if I resisted anymore I was sure my arm would break. Rido chuckled.

"Good girl."

I prepared myself for the pain I would experience but it never came. I could feel his warm breath on my neck and I flinched, yet nothing pierced my skin.

"Haha...." His voice trailed off as he forcefully pushed me away, making me fall on the floor. "I'm such a fool. The smell of your bood would heighten the senses of the whole Night Class, even Kaname."

He walked over to me and bent down before perking my chin up. "I'll just have to award myself more after you help me."

Help...?

"You want to save Senri, don't you?" he asked with a sly smile. "All you need to do is do a little favor for me."

What—

"I'm in a bit of a pickle you see. It's been ten years and my body still isn't fully healed from the wound my no good brother gave me...." He bent down and whispered in my ear. "The time has come for me to be reunited with my love, so I need you to awaken me."

My eyes widened. I needed to awaken Rido....I could never do that! I could never awaken a monster!

What would happen to Senri if you decline?

I—I—don't....

I thought of what he just said for a moment, even the words he used.

"Love...?" I mumbled under my breath.

"Your sister, the reincarnation of my one and only. I just can't let her slip through my fingers. The time is now, Akane."

The word "love" that he used.... He didn't know the true meaning of it. He didn't really care about her. He only cared about her blood, and he'd use her as a pawn. All he'd do is hurt her....

He'd hurt my sister.

Just like he hurt me.

I gritted my teeth.

"I won't let you—" A rope of blood wrapped tightly around my throat, making me fall to my knees and gag.

"You're in no condition to negotiate," he hissed before his devious grin returned. "I'll let you think about what to do for tonight. I'm feeling that generous."

Rido released his grip on me and I began to breathe heavily. He began to walk past me but paused.

"Oh, Akane," he hummed. "What ever will you do? Will you save your father or let your beloved die?"

Once Rido left it took me a moment to possess what he said. My eyes widened.

Father...?!