Chapter Thirty-Six: Bloodlust

Ikuto sat down on my bed next to me and said, "It actually went better than I thought it would."

"Did he answer all of your questions?" I asked.

"He hesitated at first but when I told him I was Toga's biological son he started talking," Ikuto said with a grin. "Speaking of talking, what was Maria in here for?"

I sighed heavily before saying annoyingly, "She practically demanded to come back to my dorm with me. I have no idea why, but she was talking to me as if we were really close friends, as if."

"I'm guessing you didn't talk much," Ikuto said. "Good. Zero told me to be cautious of that girl and he seemed to be very serious about it."

"I think he has some connection to her," I said, placing my hand on my chin. "She probably has something to do with his past. The Kurenai family does serve the Hio Clan after all."

"You're talking about Shizuka Hio aren't you?" Ikuto asked. "The Pureblood who went missing around the time the Kiryu Clan got attacked."

"Precisely," I said before letting out a yawn.

"Maria must've taken a lot out of you today," Ikuto joked.

"You know it," I said with a sly smile. "You weren't in class today, it was hectic."

"You should tell me about it sometime," Ikuto said. "But I think right now you should get some rest."

I got up off the bed and headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed. I leaned on the sink once more before looking at my reflection in the mirror. To me I looked like a wreck, but I'm sure I was the only one who saw myself that way. On the surface I looked fine, but I feel all of the emotional trauma, and all of the pain.

I back up quickly before hitting the wall. I slid to the floor before wrapping my hands around my knees. I begin to whimper a little, but I quickly catch myself in the act.

I can't take much more of this, I thought. Maybe I should tell Senri and Ikuto about this. No, I can't. It'll worry them too much. I don't want to put that much pressure on them.

I unwrap myself from my own embrace and put my hand into my pocket, taking out a small box. I open it and I don't take out just one blood tablet, but five. I've been getting so desperate. I pop them all into my mouth, but I don't feel any relief.

I want to scream what I was about to say, but I knew better than that. I didn't want Ikuto to hear my rage.

"Why won't they work anymore?" I mumbled to myself. "I won't be able to last long at this rate."

That's right, you won't, the voice in my head said gleefully. Tell them how you're feeling, I'm sure they'd give you some of their blood without hesitation.

"No," I said to myself, "I can't do that."

Why not? They wouldn't want to see to see you in pain. Do it.

I looked up and held my head in agony. Seconds later I heard a knock on the door and Ikuto's voice boomed on the other side.

"Akane, are you okay?" he asked.

"I-I'm fine, Ikuto!" I exclaimed hastily. "I'll be out in a second!"

I heard Ikuto walking away and I shakily stood up. I quickly got changed and exited the bathroom. I placed my uniform on the dresser and sat on my bed. I began to twiddle with my fingers, nervous about asking Ikuto a certain question.

"Hey, Ikuto," I mumbled nervously.

"Yeah?"

"When you said you'd protect me, how serious were you about it?" I asked. "I-I mean--"

Ikuto rushed over and sat next to me on my bed. He looked at me with a very concerning look on his face as he placed his hand on top of both of mine; saying gently, "Akane, I'm very serious about protecting you. I'd do anything to make sure you're okay."

Anything, the voice echoed in my head.

I began to breath heavily before I asked, "You'd even die for me?"

Ikuto stayed silent, obviously hesitating, before saying softly, "If that's what it takes."

I suddenly felt tears glide down my cheeks and I saw Ikuto's eyes go wide with shock. He quickly asked me, "Akane, what's wrong?" but I didn't say a word. I began to sob, and Ikuto quickly wrapped his arms tightly around me, letting me sob into his shoulder. I wrapped my arms around him as well and before I realized what I was doing, I began to open up about how I was feeling.

I couldn't keep it bottled inside any longer.

"I-I can't take much more of this," I said quietly.

Ikuto didn't say a word, he only began to run his fingers through my locks. After awhile of nothing but my sobs echoing through the room Ikuto asked me a very serious question.

"Akane, are you in any sort of pain?" Ikuto asked.

I looked right at him with wide eyes. I didn't know what to say. Part of me wanted to tell him how I was feeling, but part of me didn't want to.

I didn't know what he'd do.

I stayed silent enough for Ikuto to know the answer. Ikuto let go of me and said, "Akane, like I said before I'd do anything for you, and give anything to you."

Give you anything, the voice said sinisterly in my head.

"Shut up," I mumbled before turning wide eyed by what I just said aloud.

"Akane--" Ikuto started to say, but I quickly cut him off.

"I think it's time I got some shut eye," I said hastily. "It's getting late."

Ikuto looked at me very concerned for what seemed like forever. He finally sighed and smiled slyly at me before saying reassuringly, "Akane, if you need anything just ask, okay? I don't want to see you in any pain. I love you."

I sniffled before I smiled slyly at Ikuto's words.

This will not end until you give in, Akane, the voice said sternly. I'll make sure of it.

Ikuto smiled before going over to his bed. I gave him a strained smile. After all I couldn't stop thinking about what that voice said to me. It's telling me that it's only going to get worse from here on out. I become very worried, but I try my best to shrug it off. Ikuto turns off his lamp so I'm just sitting in total darkness as I suddenly heard a thought he had.

She's scared to ask me something, I just know it.

Took the words right out of my mouth.