Chapter I: Uptown

En başından başla

"You think it's our kind of thing?" Dean surmised, pursing his lips.

"Well, it says here that they're all unmarried women -- "

"So like virgins?"

"It doesn't say that, but..."

"Go on."

"Um, and they were found dead in their houses, alone, with the doors locked and no sign of an entry. But security camera footage tells us that they came inside and soon after were killed. Again, there was no one with them." Sam sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. "So this could be one of a few things... I mean, what are things that attack unmarried women? Dean?" When his brother didn't answer, Sam looked up to see him again staring at the guitarist. Letting out a sigh, Sam said, more loudly this time, "Dean."

"What?" He said vaguely, not looking at him.

"Do you think it's a spirit?" He pressed. "For it to attack specifically women..."

"Yeah, I don't know..." Dean shook his head, shrugging. He swung his gaze over to Sammy. "We'll do some research, see if this has happened before."

"Yeah, okay. I'll do some research." Sam raised an eyebrow and returned to his computer, typing local women's deaths into the search engine. Dean did some research of his own, staring at the girl on stage again. He nodded happily. Then the song they played ended, and the owner of the place got up to make an announcement.

"Now, we've got one more song before we'll say good night to y'all, sung by our very own house guitarist, Jacqueline Kingsleigh!" She said, and the crowd clapped. Dean felt a grin stretch across his face again as he saw the guitarist exchanging her electric for an accoustic before coming up to center stage.

"I hope you all can handle a little classic rock to finish up tonight, I know it's late." she said loftily into the mic, grinning. There were a few scattered cheers, one bursting from Dean's own mouth as he raised a fist. She swung the guitar around to her front, plucked the strings experimentally to see if it was in tune, then began to play.

"Oho," Dean laughed out loud as she began to strum the beginning chords of Ramble On by Led Zeppelin. "Yeah!" He was eager to see what she'd make of it. Perhaps if her skills were comparable to Jimmy Page's, her vocals could be on par with Robert Plant's. Doubtful, but Dean was casually hopeful. But the instance she began to sing, all of his doubts were washed away by sheer awe. Man, this girl was good.

"Leaves are falling all around... It's time I was on my way... Thanks to you, I'm much oblidged for such a pleasant stay... But now it's time for me to go... The autumn moon lights my way..." Then she made the jump up to the next notes with the utmost ease, "But now I smell the rain, and with it pain, and it's heading my way..."

As Dean listened, grinning, staring at the girl, until the song ended. Suddenly Sam tapped his arm, starting to say something about the sixties, when Dean, ignoring him, stood up and wandered over to the stage. An annoyed, put-out expression on his face, Sam simply shook his head and let his brother go off. Smirking to himself, Dean licked his lips, leaning against the wall next to her. She glanced up from fastening the clasps on her guitar case and flashed him a smile. She had on a bold shade of red lipstick, and one of her canine teeth was crooked. On top of that, below her left eye was a small black heart drawn in eyeliner. Adorable, Dean thought to himself.

"Hi," she said, almost expectantly.

"Hey. Jacqueline, was it?" Dean said brightly, licking his lips.

"Actually, it's just Jay." She replied with a roll of her clear grey eyes. "You?"

"I'm Dean," he replied, chuckling, as he extended a hand. Jay shook it with a polite smile. "Uh, need any help with that?" He gestured to her equipment.