Chapter 10: Mid-Life Crisis

Spider POV

Today was a bad day for Spider.

It was one of those days where everything seemed too small. It felt as though the very walls were closing in on him, and the air was too dry, and it was quiet. It felt so...so...confined...stuffy...claustrophobic. It was claustrophobic today.

Not even the comfort of his little spider companions as they strung their homes among his web could cheer him up. He, himself, was strewn across the thick layer of webs strung from wall to wall, lying in comfy blankets he found in the weird structures - bunks, Peter said - below. The spiders busy stringing their webs went along their merry business, unaware of the way he picked loosely at a dangling string, making Spider wish he had someone to share his grief with.

He was the only one of his pack to really know the outside. One of the two who knew the exit to their freedom. Triton didn't understand the clarity of his discovery. He thought it was a way to the ocean, but Spider knew it was so much more, and it was really getting to him. He was getting - getting...apprehensive. He imagined it was the way Triton felt too. There was something buzzing in his limbs and his head, urging him to go down to the hatch finally be free. But he - he couldn't. Not yet, and that thought alone made sitting feel like true torment.

It was in all the hot, claustrophobic moments like this that he was tempted to throw all caution aside and go to the hatch. He was close. So, so very close. But he couldn't do yet. Not now, because his pack isn't ready yet. If they tried, and as much as Spider hated to admit it, they would be taken down by their enemies just like last time.

If they were going to win their freedom, they needed to be stronger. He needed to be stronger. He KNOWS this.

A wanton whine escapes him nonetheless, and Spider turns over in his web, curling up on his side with two of his left arms dangling through the open notches in the web. His pack is out resting for now. They had another easy win against the prisoner. Why Wolverine made it so easy on them, Spider couldn't quite understand.

He was being hunted. He should fight back, try to win and survive. That was...well, it just felt right. When Spider was fighting his enemies from the outside, he felt attacked. He felt hunted. Every part of him was telling him to attack faster and better, to win and survive. Why was it so different for Wolverine.

Spider waited for Peter to pipe up with some annoying comment, but was surprised when it remained quiet.

Curious, he lifted his head, almost as if to look for Peter. Cocking his head, Spider crooned softly to get its attention, and this time he felt a small stirring inside.

What do you want? Peter asked, and Spider was surprised with how...sad, it sounded. Why was Peter sad? It had no reason to be sad.

It's - it's nothing, Peter sighed, and Spider felt another shift inside him as if Peter was turning away. Go back to fantasizing about the outside, or whatever.

While Spider did like to think of the Outside, he didn't like it when Peter was gloomy. It made HIM gloomy, and this Pack did not need a gloomy Alpha. Spider crooned again, louder, and stared at the little spiders crawling along a web nearby. Peter ignored him, and Spider scowled.

He hissed, startling the spiders, but it got Peter's attention enough for it to whirl back around.

Just leave me alone! You already have my body and my friends, you don't get to have me too!

Friends? Things that are not enemies. Pfft, Peter didn't have any friends. He was stuck in Spider's head. Spider was his...well...Spider wasn't really his friend either.