Chapter 8: Practice Dummy

It was hours since the discovery and he could still smell the ocean.

Spider was in his web, trying to sleep, but couldn't keep his thoughts from wandering back to the hatch Triton had discovered earlier, and the bitter (but oh so sweet) smell of the ocean. Just the thought of it sent tingles down his body, racing from the top of his head to his toes. 

Freedom. It was so close, and yet...

They couldn't leave yet.

Just thinking those words left his stomach twisting bitterly. And maybe something more...a feeling that made him squirm and feel sick to his stomach. His mind tumbled over itself to figure out what it was.

Guilt.

He was feeling guilty for not telling his Pack the discovery. It took nearly an hour alone just to convince Triton to be quiet about it, and even then he wasn't completely sure Triton would be able to keep away from the hatch for long. The ocean called to the meta-fish more than it did Spider. There was no telling how strong Triton's desire to return to the sea was.

But he still listened. He was strong.

Spider hummed pridefully to himself. Triton was strong. His whole Pack was strong.

But not strong enough. That's why they couldn't leave yet. The last time they were close to freedom, they were stopped by their Enemies. That couldn't happen again, not if he could help it. But now that they had a way out, it was time to step it up.

Tomorrow, the real training would begin.

                                               ____________________________________

Wolverine sprinted down the hall.

He turned a corner sharply, feet thudding against the floor, keeping himself well within the center of the hallway, far out of reach of the web-covered walls and ceiling. Grunts and growls echoed behind him as a constant reminder that his time was running out and that they'd be on him soon.

It felt so stressful being the hunted rather than the hunter. No wonder people he's tracked and fought always seemed so high strung. Even Sabretooth wasn't this tenacious. Hell, he'd certainly prefer Sabretooth at this point.

But, no, he was stuck with a pack of mutated, sadistic teenagers out for his blood. Seemed just like his luck...

He followed the hall down into one of the numerous lab rooms in the Academy. Immediately upon entering, he closed the door as quietly as possible, keeping his eyes on it a few seconds more before silently creeping across the floor to the other end where another door stood.

The cats had his scent. It wouldn't be long before they tracked him in here. outside the door, he could already hear them snuffling and sniffing the floor. Quickening his pace barely below making a sound, he pulled at the doorknob from the opposite door and stepped out, closing it softly behind him.

Taking two steps back, he eyed the door grimly, extending his senses beyond the corridor and into the closed room to tell him whether he successfully got away or not. A door from inside splintered and a raucous roar nipped at the heels. With a curse, he burst down the hall, eyes hunting for another way to go. Whatever sick game Spider was playing, he wished the kid would've left him out it. Why couldn't the spider-freak just leave him alone in the training room where he could keep an eye on the other agent?

He barely turned the corner before his exit door down the hall was thrown from its hinges and into the wall opposite to it. Excited growls and mewls shuffled inside the hallway, quick to follow his scented path. It was a shame he lost the Anti-Odor clip Tony made. Even if it was a blocker for his senses, it'd still throw these creatures off his trail.