Chapter 4

"-but then we managed to turn him back with the glands of a megamiphadis." Kazar finished explaining.

Nick Fury sat silently by his desk, looking at Kazar with a bland expression. He quirked an eyebrow at the jungle kid, then looked past him at the rest of the Academy students; all whom stood up perfectly straight, like some kind of wall of teenage emotion and angst.

"So," Nick Fury said, addressing them all "you're telling me that the ambiguity of the virus is a poison from the Savage Lands, that had earlier been used on Spider-Man, and can only be cured by something else from the Savage Lands, correct?"

Amadeus, who stood closest to Kazar, nodded in affirmation. "And that might also explain why Spidey was affected by the gas more than others." he added. "He could have a bit of residue poison still in him, or maybe his body recognized it somehow and built on it. Either way, I'll have to run tests..." the teen trailed off in thought. Powerman nudged him from behind to snap him back into attention.

Nick shook his head, "But you have no evidence to this." he pointed out. "You're basing it all on theory. And frankly, I don't think I can have my agents going on a goose-chase through a prehistoric jungle based on nothing but a gut-feeling."

Nova pushed his way forward from the group to address Fury, "Well, how many times has your gut-feeling saved your life?" he demanded. "Or Captain America? Even Spidey's survived on gut-instinct, if you remember. Besides, you don't have to send your agents. Let us go." he gestured to himself and his teammates. "Kazar grew up in the Savage Lands, he can be our guide. Come on, you've trained us for this kind of thing."

"It's not like your letting us do anything else anyway." Agent Venom piped up from the back of the group. A mumble of bitter agreement rumbled through the teens. Nick Fury looked them all over, seeing nothing but stubborn determination. He didn't like the idea of leaving a group of teenagers in the middle of a jungle full of dinosaurs - the dinosaurs didn't do anything to deserve that.

But they did have a point.

"What have we got to lose?" Dagger added. "Your scientists are stumped, even Tony Stark is running around in circles. I mean, yeah, all we have is this lead. But at least it's something. What's the harm in just checking it out?"

Fury was quiet as he thought over the situation. It wasn't a completely foolish theory to be honest, and it did give the teens something to do. But he wasn't going to send them into the Savage Lands with no supervision. Yes, they weren't exactly fourth-graders, but kids are kids. As powerful as they were, he didn't like the idea of sending them out on their own.

Sighing, Fury leaned back in his chair. "Okay," he said, and immediately the teens erupted in cheers. Grumbling under his breath and loathing the headache he'd have later, Nick shouted "Quiet!" silencing them all off abruptly. "I have conditions." the students withheld a sigh, but it was still something. They all held their tongue and listened. "First," Nick said, "Not all of you are going."

"What?"

"You can't be serious!"

"Come on!"

"Are you kidding me?"

"What the heck man!"

Fury silenced them with a glare. "The Savage Lands are still dangerous, and with a bigger group you're more likely to be noticed and attacked. This should be an in-and-out mission. Large numbers are not required. And if you disagree, than you can automatically count yourself out of this mission." the teens wisely remained quiet. Satisfied with their silence, Fury continued, "I'll be choosing who goes and who stays, based on who is more accustomed to the Savage Land terrain - not just personal preference. For now, all of you head back to your dorms. Classes will be continuing tomorrow, any arguments will be ignored and dished with detention." with that, the Director waved them out of his office.