Chapter 6: Well, at Least It's Not Kraven

Guess who's back - back

Back again-ain

Guess who's back - back

Back again-ain

...It's me!!!! Alright, this chapter is told in Kazar and Taskmaster's point of view! Enjoy! ;)

_____

His shoulder still hurt. Ugh, stupid, silent, blood-thirsty hunter.

Kazar carefully hefted the S.H.I.E.L.D supplied backpack over his uninjured shoulder, wincing anyway when the bandage opposite to it rubbed or irritated his wound in any way. With a grimace, he willfully resisted the urge to rub his shoulder and instead turned from his bunk to exit the small room he had been given aboard the Tricarrier.

Even within the sanctity of his room, he could feel the energetic bustle of S.H.I.E.L.D beyond the door. After coming back to the Academy from the attack with the hunter in that alleyway, something seemed to have had awoken inside S.H.I.E.L.D. Ever since the accident, involving Spider-Man and his prison break from the Med Bay, the cooperation had seemed to lock down in on itself. No news got out to the public, there were no real sightings of S.H.I.E.L.D agents or its heroes, and any footage that news choppers got from filming the Triskelion was "mysteriously" hacked and deleted within 10 minutes; so as far as anyone in New York could tell, S.H.I.E.L.D was nothing but a lifeless, flying metal husk in the sky.

But now it's been sparked back to life. Someone had been after Kazar, specifically. After a few S.H.I.E.L.D detectives looked over the battle site and patrol trail of Kazar, they discovered that the hunter had been hiding in the shadows for at least an hour, waiting for the teen to run by. How the hunter knew he would be there, no one was quite sure, but Director Fury theorized that someone has been watching S.H.I.E.L.D, and whoever it was wanted Kazar dead.

For a scary moment, Kazar and the rest of his teammates thought Fury would pull the plug on a mission to the Savage Lands. But, surprisingly, he was actually eager for them to go now. "Whoever's out there wanted to kill Kazar, probably because he is one of the only people who can safely navigate the Savage Lands." the Director had said, "That means there's something there they don't want us to find. I think you kids were right about the cure being there, but I also think we need to tread carefully. Whoever attacked Kazar might be willing to try again."

Originally, only 3 people were to go on the mission: Kazar (of course), Taskmaster (because he was also familiar with the Savage Land terrain), and Hulk (to keep dangerous animals - it be dinosaurs or giant mosquitoes - away). But, consequently, since the attempt by this enemy was on Kazar's life, Nick Fury decided to have Captain America tag along too. Not much could get past Cap, leaving Kazar in extremely capable hands. Which was fine, Captain America was a true inspiration, and just really awesome, anyway.

Personally, Kazar was just happy Kraven wasn't coming along.

He met up with Cloak, Dagger, Iron Fist, and Powerman outside in the hall. They looked at each other idly, before wordlessly walking down the corridor together. Halfway down, Powerman stated, to no one in particular, "I guess Nova was wrong about me going on the mission." He said it casual enough, but anyone could catch the layer disappointment there if they listened closely.

Dagger gave him a sidelong glance, and clapped a hand on his shoulder with a small sympathizing nod, "Yeah, I wanted to go too."

"Next time, perhaps." Iron Fist contributed half-heartedly. Cloak didn't say anything, but his face conveyed enough.

Kazar wasn't sure if he should talk or not. He was the one going on the mission, he had nothing to feel disappointed about, except - perhaps - his shoulder. Besides, he didn't really want to rub his involvement in anyone's face.