(Ch.8) Damaged

The flames reached to your outstretched arms like demons ready to drag you to the underworld. You couldn't fight back against them as you became paralyzed. Fear overwhelmed all of your senses, heightening them drastically. The faint smell of sweat and smoke were the first of your surrounds you noticed. The next was the air whipping past your face, brushing your (h/c) locks against your deadly pale face. It all felt surreal, and weirdly dangerous to be so aware of everything around you.

You hated it.

But you couldn't do anything about it.

Because, ironically enough, you couldn't control yourself anymore.

Fear struck you into autopilot; a certain kind of primal phase only animals have. Where only one idea reigns surpreme.

Survive.

And you did just that as your soft human skin started to manipulate itself and shift. The tiny hairs along your arms became harder and wider, turning themselves into a diamond pattern all the way up your shoulder. Your neatly trimmed nails began to lengthen into pointed claws, sharp enough to tear into flesh. The last final touch onto this transformation were the narrowing of your pupils into snake-like slits.

You became inhuman; exactly like your mother.

But you couldn't bring yourself to care, with all the whirlwind of chemicals pumping through your body. They tried to twist and conform your emotions. Some of them successfully doing so. It was like your mother was controlling you without even being here.

Shoto turned off his flames a second too late, letting your scaly hand clasp onto it firmly. All of your weight pressed itself on this one point, but instead of tackling Shoto down to the ground and possibly hurting him, you used all your strength to throw him away. Shoto was like a rag doll against your heightened strength, and he landed unharmed on his butt.

Shoto now out of the line of fire. You collided with the grass, hard. The feeling of your once wounded bones shaking in place sent an alarm to the back of your mind. Fortunately nothing broke because lately you were making an awful habit of hurting yourself.

Your sore form slid against the blades, staining your clothes. It didn't help that your vision shook dreadfully, bringing nausea with it. You were okay. Other than the emotional damage by witnessing those flames again, you were in perfect condition.

"(Y/n) are you okay?"

You turned your head to find Shoto, standing up briskly to rush over to you. His crimson hair and vibrant blue eye suddenly drawn your focus, making you forget everything around you. Your heartbeat spiked higher than it already was. Crawling back, you clumsily stood up, shaking your hands furiously towards him.

"I'm fine!"

His pursuit stopped as he noticed the way you were panicking when he got closer.

"I'm fine, Todoroki. Just please, stay-..."

You paused, trying to think of your response whilst your thoughts were scattered.

"-stay back..."

The two of you were hung in silence, only the light of the sun departing cast itself through the air. Shoto frowned, guilt in his eyes for the second you made eye contact with each other. It made your insides start to churn. His white hair and lone grey eye were starting to be acknowledged by your conscious, letting your heartbeat slow a little.

You need to calm down... calm down...

It was only an accident, a small accident. Shoto was sorry about it too, you could tell. So you shouldn't freak out. You have to stop, no matter how hard it is... You're going to become a hero, you'll face fears greater than fire and even Endeavor.

Yet, no matter how much you told yourself this, it never grounded in. The fear was still present and you couldn't stop it. It was too well grounded into your brain to be gotten rid of so quickly.

Standing a couple of yards away from one another, you stared at your changed hands. You had shifted like your mother. Changing your genetic code to allow you access to practically any traits, and even a couple that didn't exist by mutating a couple of them together. It was a complex and hard way to use this quirk. But, you didn't like the method for many reasons.

It took you a hesitant second of looking at the eerie scales before changing them back to their original look. The process of shifting back took a full minute which was a lot of time in comparison in the second you had called upon it mid-air. You were back to normal.

This is the form you liked and plan to stay in.

"Are you okay?"

Softening your gaze at Shoto and looking up, you broke the stillness of the air with a loaded question. Your claws were pretty sharp, you prayed in your haste of grabbing him, you hadn't hurt him. He's the one wanting to be a hero so you wouldn't forgive yourself if you hurt him to the point he couldn't go to school.

"I'm good."

Nodding at his answer, you clenched your fists tightly. Even talking to him was starting to scare you. The more time you spent here; the more you see the subtle similarities of him and Endeavor.

"I-I've gotta go..."

The fear from before was coming back. It became too much, and you rushed off before he could say anything. Leaping up onto the patio, you went to slide the door open swiftly.

Only to be met with Fuyumi standing at the doorway. Her face contorted in worry. "Are you two alright?! I heard a scream!"

Pursing your lips, you nodded, quietly slipping past her. She gave you a curious glance before looking to Shoto. You were only able to make out Fuyumi's last words as you rounded the corner, "What happened, Shoto?"

Sliding your room door open, you closed it behind you with a solemn expression. You wanted to cry, but you also wanted to scream. Yet, you couldn't do either.

Not around the Todoroki's.

Your fear had never been more, more disabling than it had been today. You began to feel like a rabbit in a fox's den. Shoto is one of the Todoroki's. He has the flames, which burn, which hurt, which... You layed down on your futon to calm your heart.

Despite being nice to you, and even cute at times, Shoto is still a Todoroki.

It was unfair of you to classify Shoto on the same level as Endeavor, but, but...

You couldn't help it...

-------

Yellow guys, I'm sorry for the delay.

I'll upload another chapter this week for a lil bonus cause' of it. I'm excited with the starting up of this story.

Also I love all of you lovely readers. Thank you so much.

Fun fact: My brother, a big as*, messed with me and now my phone's screen is now cracked. R.I.P. A moment of silence for my phone, please, because I write on my phone.

Anyway, without a further ado,

Bai!~