Prologue

"Why do you want to be a foster mother?" The question from the owner snapped Alyssa Daniels back to reality.

"I just feel that I am missing something in my life, and this was the safe way for me to go."

"You know you won't keep the child forever right?"

Alyssa nodded. "Of course. I know that. Foster care is temporary. I just feel that there is a child here who needs my love for a while"

The owner nodded. "We do have a new one. Just got him today. He is two weeks old. We found him in the woods. He was abandoned by his mother."

"Could I see him?" Alyssa about jumped from her chair. Her heart began to ache for the small child. Who abandons an infant?

"Sure," the owner stood. "Follow me."

She walked into a small nursery. There was only one infant. The one who was abandoned. "His name is Matthew," the owner said. "His mother left him and killed herself. We haven't been able to find any local family, so we are placing him in the system."

Alyssa's heart did a flutter at the name Matthew. She smiled and followed the owner. She stopped in front of the crib that held Matthew, and she reached in to hold him.

Alyssa cooed at baby Matthew. "He is so beautiful. Can I take him?"

"Are you sure?" The owner asked. "Newborns are easier to connect with. You can become overly attached to him. It will be hard to let him go."

"I don't care," Alyssa said still staring at the sleeping Matthew. "He just needs someone to love him. I want him."

"Okay," the owner smiled. "Come with me to sign papers."

Alyssa signed and was handed a small baby carrier. "Here you go, Alyssa. We will have the system come and check things out twice a month. Okay?"

She nodded and walked out of the agency. She went to the store to pick up some items. She had nothing for a baby. At least she had been saving.

She bought a crib, some bottles, some diapers, some wipes, baby formula, a few outfits, and a stroller. Man, she thought when she saw the price. Babies are expensive. She would just come back later when she needed it.

She asked her best friend, Molly, to meet her at her place. She needed help unloading.

Soon, Matthew had a room set up. He was going to be very loved. She would make sure of it.

He was her little Matthew. Finally, she had a baby she could call hers. After all the pain and torture of not being a mom, she now had her chance.