Chapter 50: Ms. Falida

Start from the beginning

"Go inside. They're sorting out the papers right now."

I took a heavy breath as I stepped inside the cold building. We turned a right in one the hallways, opening the door that revealed a lawyer sitting behind a beautifully carved table.

Mr. Hannes was walking behind us, not uttering a single word as we entered the room. I greeted him with a small nod, which he briefly returned.

We took our seats, watching as the lawyer began to spread out many papers.

In the end, he took three out, and layed them in front of the person accordingly. He swept his gaze over us all.

"(Y/N) (L/N), Eren Jaeger and Armin Arlert. The three of you were under the legal guardian of Ms. Sabira."

My breath hitched momentarily. I've never been comfortable hearing her being called by her last name.

"The three of you have not reached legal age, and therefore you still need a guardian to watch over you. We've discussed earlier, and decided that your new guardian shall be Ms. Sabira's ex-husband, who has volunteered himself as your guardian--"

Eren cut him off. "Pardon? Ms. Falida's ex-husband? She never had an ex-husband--"

Eren was cut off by the man sitting beside me. "I am."

My gaze snapped to Mr. Hannes, who was still holding the same unreadable gaze, only this time, there was visible grief swirling in his eyes. He turned to the three of us.

"I'm Ms. Falida's former husband," Mr. Hannes said, his voice confident. All our mouths dropped, gaping open.

"Yes. Mr. Hannes volunteered himself to be your guardian. Ms. Sabira also requested it in her will that we found in her room."

Her will? Ms. Falida wrote a will? Since when?

"Mr . Hannes, please sign here, here and here," the lawyer spoke to the dirty blonde man, pointint to the places where he needs to sign.

As Mr . Hannes was signing the papers, the lawyer turned back to us. "Regarding about wills, Ms. Sabira had also written in it, that the three of you would collect all of your personal belongings that was still with her."

We nodded, me and Armin sharing a glance. The second book could be in Eren's grasps within a few hours.

"Miss (L/N)," the lawyer said, turning his attention to me.

"Yes?" I replied, bringing my gaze back to him.

The lawyer's face remained stoic, not affected by everything around him. "We found this in Ms. Sabira's room. It seems she wrote this for you."

He handed me a white envelope, and I took it gently in my hands. Overwhelming grief made my eyes blurry with tears as it finally dawned in me that Ms. Falida had written this note for me.

For me.

"Tomorrow morning we'll take you to the house so you pick up everything left. Now that she's passed away, the land belongs to the government since she didn't mention who she wishes to give it to."

We nodded. "Now go get some rest. You three look like you need it. Hannes?"

Mr. Hannes nodded. "I'll see to it. C'mon, let's go."

We stepped out of the room, and the first thing that happened is Eren confronted Mr. Hannes. "How are you Ms. Falida's ex-husband? That's almost impossible!"

Mr. Hannes' eyes glistened sadly. "She was once the love of my life. But because of a few reasons, it's didn't work out too well. I still love her, but only as a dear friend, and so does she. Who do you think I go visit ever single time I come here?"