Chapter 12: Jericho

Start from the beginning

Nox and Bec stared at you in awe. Connor smiled at you, not surprised, but pleased. You smiled back at him.

"That was incredible..." Nox gasped out. "Where did you learn to do that?"

Before you could reply, Bec interrupted. "We were so lucky to find you..." She grasped your hand. "You must be a doctor or a... a healer..." You blushed. It wasn't that impressive. Nox went over to check on Jade. Connor took your other hand.

"[F/N] used to study androids... she is different. I'm not sure if you have noticed it yet, but [F/N] is a human."

Bec looked surprised. She held your hand tighter, and you noticed she was feeling for a pulse. Her eyes widened and she pulled her hand away.

"A human and an android together... that's not something you see every day."

---

You proceeded to tell Nox and Bec about how you had come to meet Connor. While the rain streamed off the roof, you told them how you had studied androids, and worked at the Detroit Police Department as part of your training. You had begun to notice the human qualities in androids, and Connor also had. After Connor became deviant, you had decided to run away together in the hopes of finding a place where you could both be together safely. Nox and Bec listened with curiosity. They had never heard of an android and a human being together romantically before, and this surprised them. When you mentioned that you were both now on the run from Cyberlife, Bec spoke up.

"Well, why don't you two come with us? We're going to a place where androids can live safely."

Connor looked at you in surprise.

"What place is there...?" He asked slowly.

"We've only heard rumours about it, but we've heard enough to know it really exists," Nox spoke up, his expression serious. "It's a place called Jericho. We know they can help Jade there... maybe they can help you both too." Connor squeezed your hand. You met his gaze. A place where you could be safe... that couldn't be possible, right?

---

You remained hidden with your little group until morning came. When the first rays of sunlight began to stretch over the horizon, you were gone. With the light of day approaching, you could now clearly see the features of your traveling party. Bec had long amber coloured hair, that covered the LED on her temple. Light brown freckles covered her slightly tanned skin, making her look more human than most other androids. Her green eyes stood out on her face. Even with the cold weather, she wore a short sleeved khaki shirt, and torn denim jeans. She walked protectively beside Nox and Jade. Nox had dark hair, the colour of the night, you thought. He wore a black buttoned coat over grey pants. With his dark clothing, it was no wonder it was hard to see him in the dark the evening you met. He still carried Jade on his back, even though her condition was more stable now. Jade had blonde hair, golden like the sun. You could imagine that, if not for the damage to the left side of her face, she would have been stunningly beautiful. Unlike the others, she seemed smaller, like a human teenager. she wore a white long sleeved shirt, that was now stained with blue and torn from use. She also wore denim jeans, and you noticed that she had no shoes, just socks. You assumed that she lost them when trying to run away. With the daylight, her lack of skin on the left side of her face was more obvious. If someone saw it, you would be captured in a second.

"Connor give me your scarf."

Connor obliged, and you wrapped the scarf carefully around the left side of Jade's head. That was better. She was still in rest mode, wrapped around Nox's shoulders. Nox smiled at you.

"Thank you [F/N]."

As you walked, Bec told you and Connor how their group came to be. Bec had only known Nox for about a month, but when they met, they soon became really close. Bec told you the story of how she worked selling fast food. She said that it wasn't a very exciting story, but after having food thrown at her, and people complaining constantly, she felt like she wanted to fight back. So one evening, she simply ran away. She thought there was more to her life than selling junk food to humans. She told you and Connor how she was alone for a very long time. No one ever reported her as missing, so no one found her. She traveled from abandoned house to house, never staying in one place for too long. One night, she stayed in a house that she thought was abandoned, and found Nox and Jade. Nox had worked as a personal fitness trainer at the house of a wealthy family. That family desperately wanted to have a daughter, and bought Jade, an android who looked like a teenage girl to fill that space. They were kind enough to Jade, but they only treated her as a human when around other families of the same class. They wanted to keep up social standards, and have a 'perfect' daughter, one who others thought was human. Jade would visit Nox often, him being the only other android at the house who understood her. They ran away together, Nox promising that he would take care of Jade as a father would. When they found an abandoned house to stay at, they found Bec. Bec had heard of a place called 'Jericho' through very brief conversation she had had with other androids in the past, and decided that they could all live peacefully there.

"We have to go to Ferndale Station," Bec finished. "From there, we should be able to find Jericho. That's what I have been told."

"I know it sounds farfetched," Nox spoke up. "After all, it is only a rumor." He took Bec's hand and she smiled at him. "But it's our only hope... for us, and for Jade."

---

Ferndale wasn't far from where you had stayed the previous night. Your group managed to reach the station by midday, Connor and Nox taking turns to carry Jade. You had only known these androids for a short amount of time, and yet it felt like you had known them forever. With all the crowds in the station, your group managed to go unnoticed. Connor analyzed the graffiti on the walls of the station, discovering quickly that it was a clue that would lead to Jericho.

Connor went in front, following the path showed through the secret drawings. To you, they only looked like graffiti, but the androids in your group saw it as a map; leading straight to Jericho.

Connor helped you over obstacles and through broken fences. Nox carried Jade the whole way, still in rest mode on his back. Perhaps some proper rest at Jericho would do her some good.

You were becoming hopeful now. The androids who had established this place had gone to great lengths to stop humans from finding it. Perhaps this really could be a place you and Connor could call home.

You soon reached an area filled with old shipping containers, metal bridges, discarded rusty cranes, and a huge old freighter that stood out among it all. You couldn't tell you were shaking until Connor took your hand. He squeezed it, as he always did.

"There it is," Bec said, and you could hear the hope in her voice too. "That's Jericho."