3

Anthony

Maliyah had chemo the day after we met and was in recovery for two days after that so our date had to wait a few days. But come Thursday she had some testing then she was as free as a cancer patient could be. And since she couldn't leave the hospital I am going to bring the date to her. No fancy restaurant or getting back after midnight. Just her and me and hopefully some enlightening conversations.

I dress in a nice pair of black slacks and a white shirt. I button it up and leave the top button undone so I can breathe in this thing. I grab my phone and my wallet before heading over to the hospital.

Once get in I say hi to the nice people at the front desk. I ask where Maliyah would be and they point me in her direction. I take the elevator up to the 14th floor where the older kids are at and head to the room at the end of the hall. I knock on the door and not so patiently wait for someone to answer it.

Eventually the door opens and I was not prepared for what I was about to see.

She wore a dress that wasn't what you would expect to see because cancer takes so many years from you, and you forget that's she's just 22 years old and was still just a kid at this point

She wore a dress that wasn't what you would expect to see because cancer takes so many years from you, and you forget that's she's just 22 years old and was still just a kid at this point. She had a navy blue scarf wrapped around her head and sparkly earrings that really popped. She had on a little makeup that gave her some color to her even though I can tell she was drained from chemo. I always thought she was beautiful, but I can tell she just want things to be like they used to, that she can look and feel like a 22 year old again. She wants that feeling of being able to live back too. And unfortunately I know exactly how she felt.

I smile big as I look her over. Her bright blue eyes searching me too as she checks me out too.

"You look great" we say at the same time before falling into a fit of laughter.

"Great minds thing alike huh" she asks and I nod.

"That they do" I agree. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yup" she smiles. She had a incredible smile. Even with how dark she felt her smile still shined bright.

"Do you need your wheelchair" I ask.

"Nope. I was going through radiation so I can get the chemo and my body was pretty weak, that's why I needed the wheelchair. But I'm feeling a lot better today" she explains and I nod.

"Great. Then let's go."

I put my arm out as she smiles over to me. She wraps her fragile little hand around my arm and I place my hand on top of hers. I lead her down the hallway and into a elevator that went to the top of the building. It was warm for a early April evening and I got us a nice gig on the roof to enjoy the weather. So I take her up there where there was a nice dinner table waiting for us.

It was set up all beautifully with flowers in the center and a nice silver table cloth. Two meals were set out for us, nothing crazy, just whatever the hospital made for us. But it was a cute little set up with a killer view of the city behind it.