[27] thy wise one has enlightened thee

Start from the beginning

"You were always with another guy." I say, trying to keep a light conversation going.

All the color flushes from Abigail's face, and Elijah squeezes his eyes shut.

A tear slips down his cheek. He doesn't bother to wipe it. Abigail covers her face in her hands, making no sound.

My heart starts racing. "I'm so sorry, what-"

"I'm sorry, we have to go." Abigail says quietly, choking on tears as she rushes to pick up her things. Her face is stained with tears.

Elijah does the same, and then they're gone, looking for another empty table.

I notice a girl coming our way, but I don't pay her much attention.

"Oh my God." I say, my eyes widening as I watch them walk away, dazed. "What did I do?" I look up at Archer, who shakes his head. "I don't know. Maybe they were scared of my attractiveness," he says. I knew it was supposed to be a joke, but his tone was serious. I don't laugh. Neither does he.

"What did I do?" I say again, hoping he'll have a reason this time. A good one. "Did I say something? Did I sound rude?"    

I put my head in my hands as Archer says "I don't know. As soon as you said you remembered another guy with her, they both started crying, I think. Maybe he moved?" I look up at him and notice the girl who was coming near our table lingering next to Archer.

She's staring right at me, her narrow eyes framed with tears. I don't point them out, for her sake. She shakes her head as she watches Abigail and Elijah find a table. I watch as she sniffles and looks away, wondering why she's here and not saying anything. Like I did before with Abigail, I remember her looks, her straight black hair and her brown eyes, but I don't know her name. She looks back at me.

"You-it wasn't anything. You didn't do anything. Peter-" she chokes on tears, taking a deep breath. "-I shouldn't-it's not your fault," She stutters, turns on her heel, and then she's gone, her shoulders shaking as she walks over to Abigail and Elijah's new table.

Archer just stares at her, watching as she sits down. "It wasn't your fault. It was something about that guy." I nod, staring at the table.

I dig through my lunch, coming up with cantaloupe. "I'm going to get a fork," I say, still a little dazed. I get up and walk towards the table with all the spoons and forks.

"Kendra!" I snap my head in the direction of my name, even though I already knew where it came from. I quirk an eyebrow.

"What do you want, Bree?" I yell. I don't want to talk to her. I don't even want to go near her.

"I want you to meet someone!" I raise my eyebrows, genuinely confused. She's talking to me like we're old pals.

I walk over there. I'm not sure what made me do it.

She smiles at me. I narrow my eyes.

"Can I just see your imaginary friend and leave?" I ask, glancing at my table. Archer's watching Bree closely, like she's going to jump up and claw my eyes out.

Bree rolls her eyes, but then she smiles. It's a weird combination. Then she pulls a girl who was sitting next to her closer. I recognize her brown curls and her tan skin, but I don't know her name. She was in the middle of eating ramen. I mentally curse Bree for disturbing her. No one should have to go through that while simultaneously eating ramen.

"This is May!" Bree says enthusiastically, wrapping and arm around her shoulder "My girlfriend!" I look at her.

"Uhm-hi," I say, completely confused about why I'm standing here right now. "Nice to meet you?" She smiles back.

"Okay, well, I'm gonna go now," I say awkwardly, turning quickly on my heel and grabbing a fork. I rush back to my table. Archer stares at me.

"What was that?" He says quickly, nodding behind me, in Bree's direction. I don't turn around. I just sigh.

"Honestly, I think she's lost her marbles. She called me over to meet her girlfriend. Like we were friends. Like I cared." I say, rolling my eyes. "Am I the only one who's confused?" He nods. I raise an eyebrow.

"You're not?"

He shakes his head.

"Then enlighten me, o great wise one," I say, crossing my arms and putting them on the table. He smiles and takes a deep breath.

"Well-obviously she wanted to make you jealous, even though you're not friends anymore, even though you're straight. She wanted to get a reaction out of you, I guess. I'm not exactly sure, but it's something along the lines of that," he finishes, crossing his arms. "There. Thy wise one has enlightened thee." I laugh. Then I think about everything he just said and I gasp.

"You're think Bree still likes me?"

He nods. "I do."

                        Please vote if you enjoyed! ♡

FINALLY! THE CAMEO akorns  AND I HAVE BEEN PLANNING FOR A LONG TIMEEEEEEE!!!!! THERE IT IS! So, if you don't know, Elijah, Naomi (the girl who came over to Kendra), Abigail and Peter are all amazing characters from @akorns amazing story Love Note! Click on her name and read it. Or suffer the consequences. Haha. Just kidding. I think.