25th December (Part 2)

7:29 pm

7:29 pm

"- and then she tripped over the curb, and went flying. You should have seen her expression, it was hilarious!" Azura's dad exclaimed, letting go of the steering for a split second to slap his knee, and start chuckling.

Azura glared at him from the back, wishing the ground would swallow her up whole. Why, oh why didn't she take a cab instead?

"It wasn't my fault that someone put a curb there! How was six year old me supposed to know that you shouldn't try and ride a bike over it?!" she exclaimed indignantly, her cheeks growing hot with fury.

"Its common sense darling," her dad replied, shooting her a grin in the rear-view mirror.

Azura huffed and turned away, facing the window. Sneaking a glance at Jordan, she saw that he was trying to stifle a laugh. Mumbling under her breath, she moved her gaze to the frosted glass.

"Azura..." Jordan drawled, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

She ignored him.

"Come on, don't be like that..." he laughed, trying to pull her towards him. Leaning over, he whispered in her ear, "I'm sure six year old you was just fine."

"Not. Funny," she growled, trying to shove him away, but found herself leaning into his warm embrace instead. Sighing, she gave in, knowing that she'd never be able to stay mad at him for long.

After a few very peaceful moments of silence, Azura found her gaze wandering over to her parents, who were very pointedly trying to ignore them. Smiling at their awkwardness, she gently pulled herself away from Jordan's arms and cleared her throat.

They ignored her.

"Ahem."

They seemed to suddenly snap out of whatever dream they were reliving, and her mother turned to face her.

"Yes, honey?" her mother asked, her gaze catching on Jordan's hand on her daughter's waist.

Rolling her eyes, she replied. "Can you drop us off right here? We'll walk the rest of the way. I have something I need to show Jordan."

"Here? Are you sure?" Her mother glanced at the dark alleyway anxiously.

"We're sure, Mrs Arquette." Jordan replied, pushing his bangs away from his face.

"Alright then," she replied, a little sceptical, but mostly trusting. Her dad pulled over, the quiet purr of the engine slowing to faint hum. Stepping out of the car, Azura turned back around to help Jordan out, wincing when she saw the bandages move under his thin blue t-shirt.

"You alright?" she murmured softly, running a gentle hand along the crease of the white linen.

"Fine," he whispered back, his eyes filled with soft adoration.