Chapter 8

The human girl and three animals ran down the hill, soon reaching a road. 

"We need a ride" Mittens said once the gang had stopped in front of the road. 

"Ooh, I've got a big one!" Rhino beamed, and the gang turned to see a giant moving truck hauling a house. "You're welcome"

The four friends quickly ran after the truck and jumped in, making it safely inside. 

"Whoooo" Kali breathed out in relief as she sat down. "What a day" 

"I can't believe it! My whole life I wanted to see a real live super bark!" Rhino beamed, before rolling away. "You are legendary!" 

The rest of the gang all smiled to each other, but Bolt then looked away sadly and sighed. Kali and Mittens could tell the white shepherd looked confused as in what to do now. Now that he found out he doesn't have super powers and his whole life had just been for a TV show, which was all fake. 

"Kali... Mittens... If..." Bolt started, looking sad, wondering what his purpose was. "If I don't chase bad guys... then what am I?" 

"You are Penny's dog and best friend" Kali looked to the white shepherd gently, coming up to him. "She loves you"

Bolt still looked to the teenage girl with a small frown while he thought. 

"Ah, don't worry about it" Mittens told Bolt. "Being a regular dog is like the greatest gig in the world, okay?"

"Look, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, okay? A little known cat secret" Mittens came up in front of the white dog's face. "Do you know why we hate dogs? Cause we wanna be dogs. We have dog complexes" 

"But... But what do dogs do?" Bolt asked, looking completely lost and confused. 

"Slobber, sleep, chase tails, chew shoes, play fetch, bark, run" Kali gave many examples, before adding in with a joke. "You don't exactly need a master's degree"

All three of them then chuckled to that. 

"You know, most dogs live in a place like this" Mittens began explaining to Bolt. "And, well, they do things like..." 

Mittens and Kali soon showed Bolt a toilet, explaining what dogs liked to do with it. 

"Out of this?!" Bolt gasped out of shock and a bit of disgust. "But... But!"

"And this is your dog bowl" Mittens and Kali showed Bolt the kitchen next. 

"What is?" Bolt asked, looking around. 

"This! The entire floor!" Mittens showed him. "If it hits the ground, it goes to the hound. How cool is that?" 

"You're so lucky that you're a dog" Kali told Bolt, wishing she was one herself. Even though she could shape-shift into any animal with her crystal, whenever she wanted to. 

"Ah, and on cold nights" Mittens sighed as she and Kali brought Bolt over to the fireplace. "This, and a ball of yarn. Oh, it doesn't get better than that"

"You seem to know a lot about these places" Bolt said to Mittens curiously.  

"Yeah" Kali added in the same tone. 

"Yeah, I did my time in one of these. But I'm more of an alley cat at heart, ya know?" Mittens replied like she didn't care. "Sprung out first chance I got, never looked back"

"Hmm" Bolt and Kali both wondered if there were more secrets to the black cat than they already knew about.

But before they could even ask Mittens.....