Chapter 7

Kali and Rhino had been traveling a few miles on foot now, pursuing the car as dusk was quickly setting in. 

"I swear, when this is over, I'm definitely going to need a 15 minute bathroom break" Kali said between breaths. 

When they just then had reached a gas station, where they found the car was stopped and the driver was out refueling. Rhino was breathing heavily as they approached. 

"Ring, ring. Who is it? Destiny!" Rhino asked dramatically, then smirked. "I've been expecting your call"

Rhino then opened his ball and slowly stepped out, which completely surprised Kali. Rhino realized what he had done. Like an alien who had come to destroy the planet, walking out of his spaceship with a maniacal laugh.  

Kali just rolled her eyes and told the hamster to be quiet while they snuck over to the car without the driver seeing them. They then climbed up over the top of the car to the other side, seeing a small dent on one of the containment doors from the inside. 

"Ow!" Rhino and Kali heard Bolt smash his head against the door, trying to break out. 

"Oh, would you give it up already?" Mittens groused at him. "You're liquefying whatever brains you have left"

The animal control officer finished refueling and got back in the car, driving off again with Kali and Rhino still on top of the roof. Kali leaned over the side, while Rhino came down to the latch to open Bolt's containment door.  

"I can not be contained, in any container. You quitter!" Bolt drawled, obviously becoming dizzy from ramming his head against the door repeatedly.  

"Watch this!" Bolt got prepared to try and break down the door one more time. 

Rhino then unlocked the door with Kali's help, right when Bolt charged at it. Head-butting the door open and burst out of the car. 

Kali and Rhino jumped off the car after him. The white dog tumbled off to the side of the road and splashed into a puddle, landing against the dirt. 

"I did it! I'm back!" Bolt cheered for himself before letting out a tired breath. "Whoooo, that Styrofoam is wicked stuff" 

"Again I'll say it, this dog is going to be the death of me" The 13-year-old girl groaned out loud while siting up straight, rubbing her head as she had received another bruise mark. 

"Fully awesome!" Rhino jumped out from the bushes and started dancing around. "There's no truck that I know that can keep in Bolt and Rhino!" 

"Rhino? Kali?" Bolt asked, looking confused. "What are you guys doing here?"

"After you and Mittens were taken by animal control..." Kali started to explain, before she realized. "Oh my gosh! Mittens is still in there!"   

"We thought we'd just pop the hatch on that containment unit" Rhino finished explaining to the dog with a proud laugh.  

"You- you two opened the door?" Bolt asked, still confused and astounded.  

"Yes we did!" Rhino smiled. "Yoink!"  

"Yes..." Kali slowly nodded, knowing this would be hard for Bolt to understand. "That's correct" 

"That- that's great, guys..." Bolt said slowly, realizing he hadn't gotten out with his powers after all. "Yeah, that's really good..."

"All right" Rhino started walking off, leading the other two. "Let's go get the prisoner back" 

Kali slowly followed Rhino, but she turned back to see Bolt had stopped. The white dog ran his paw across his lighting-bolt mark and looked to see he had ink stains on his paw. Bolt suddenly realized, he didn't have superpowers at all. None of it was real... Mittens was right.