11 - Dead man walking

Start from the beginning

After an awfully long and awkward pause during which the only thing that could be heard was the sound of the TV playing and Jason passionately screaming at it- or its characters, both of us spoke at the same time ''-Listen'' we started, together, and shyly laughed ''You go first'' we said in unison once more ''Nah, you go first'' we said, getting slightly annoyed but laughing, still.

''Okay, you go first I'll say what I have to say after'' I said, putting my hands up in surrender.

''Okay.. so here's the thing. Remember what I made you promise me when dickhead left?'' he said, referring to Aiden, making me glare at him and remind him to stop calling him that because it was getting as old as the cheese we had in our fridge.

''I still want you to keep your promise'' he said and turned his gaze in mine, locking it there, making me sigh, reminding me that the word I had given him was now long gone.

''Okay'' I said in a voice as high as a dolphin's, knowing better than anyone that not only was I lying to him but I also planned on seeing the person I shouldn't see, a few hours after that exact conversation.

Saving me from a situation in which I'd probably have to lie again, Jason came to my rescue when he called for Cole from the living room with the excuse that he wanted to help him do a research for school.

Right then, my phone buzzed and I took it out of my pocket, praying it wasn't a text from the person I shouldn't be texting, a fact that'd be pretty impossible considering he doesn't even have my new number.

Unknown number:

Don't be late tonight ;)

Me:

How do you have my number?

Unknown number:

I have my ways. Tell Cole I said hi

THAT SON OF A MELTED CHOCOLATE.

I didn't have any doubt about who it was, only Aiden would risk losing a limp that easily but the only question was; how did he get my number?

''What are you glaring at your phone for?'' Cole snapped me out my investigator/murderer phase. ''Huh? Oh, that? It's NOTHING'' I said a little too loud. I wasn't scared of my brother, I never was but right now I felt so guilty for lying to him so much, that I just couldn't control my vocal chords.

''Yeah, okay. What's for lunch?''

~~~

''Honey, you asked a pro. Just wait until he falls asleep and then leave. If realizes you were gone just say that you went on a walk'' Bailey said from the other side of the screen. Cole had gone out to get cigarettes and I took that as my chance to ask for help.

''There's no way he'll fall asleep at 11pm, do you even know my brother?'' I said, stating the obvious. I thought of all the excuses I could use, none of them sounding genuine, probably because they weren't. I could tell him I was going to a friend's house, but then again who'd believe I had to go see a friend at almost midnight?

''Tell him you have to come see me'' she suggested and it would've seemed like a good excuse if it hadn't been for all the things I just thought of.

''Dude, I'm telling you he won't believe me'' I said, banging my head on my nightstand.

''Question.''

''Say it''

''Why did he pick that hour for you guys to meet and not something earlier. Like If he wanted to meet you at night, he could've chosen something earlier when it'd still be dark'' she asked, making me ask myself the exact same thing.