Chapter 2

Once the doctors had finished toying with me, they decided to leave me alone for another few days. They must have drugged me with something through the IV’s they strapped to each of my hands because even though, I was standing by the door watching, my body stayed sleeping for days. The drugs they gave must have been real strong. A week later, I was still sleeping. I started to realize I was in a coma. My thoughts were clarified when the one doctor was talking to my parents and telling them what was wrong with me. Apparently, there was a car crash, which I had no memory of, and I went straight through the windshield, causing brain trauma in the process. They needed to let my brain heal itself which was why they knocked me out and put me to sleep in a coma.

Ever since the doctors left that one day, my memory reappeared. Everything I had no clue of the day I saw myself lying there came right back to me.

The current date was August 17, 2014.

My name was Nina Williams. I was 15 years old and in my sophomore year of high school. I was a writer, reader, and runner. I participated in XC ever since the seventh grade. My sister, Alea, was 7 and was in the second grade. My parents were currently filing for a divorce ever since last October.

The boy I saw was my boyfriend, Colton Davis, who was a fantastic soccer player and lifeguard. We’ve been dating for almost one whole year. We met in Spanish 1 last year. He is now a senior.

My friends came by to visit me multiple times a day. There was Rosie, a junior who was also a XC freak, Ty, Colton’s best friend and Rosie’s boyfriend who was also a senior, and Kayla, a spunky sophomore whom I had met at a XC meet last year.

We lived in a small house located in the suburbs of Avalon, New Jersey. We owned a black and white cat that prefered Alea over anyone else in the family. Her name was Bailey and she was pretty much just a cat. She didn’t enjoy your company unless your name was Alea Williams and you were about to feed her.

That was about it. That was my life in a short amount of words. Of course, there’s some more juicy details to it, but those will have to wait.