Chapter 11

COLTONS POV

My uncle bought me 2 Yankees tickets for my birthday and told me that I should take Nina instead of him. Which was a little surprising considering we’d usually go every year just the him and me.

With my aunt recently dying, I didn’t really know if I was up for it either. I was not very active anymore. I didn’t like going out unless it was with Nina, which is a selfish, I know, but I didn’t have the energy to do much. I missed her. A lot.

Life didn’t seem right without her baking cookies just for me every visit or her yelling at me to get my feet off of the coffee table or her telling me I needed to visit her more. And I kind of wished I did. Looking back, there were plenty of times I could have stopped just to say hello but didn’t because I was either lazy or busy at the time. Either way, though, I should have visited when I had the chance to.

She reminded me of my mom. My mom was just like her, in a way. My mom left me when I was five for some unknown reason. I will never forget her, though.

The last memory I have of her is going down to the beach for a swim together. We spent all day jumping over the huge waves and boogie-boarding and making sand castles together. After the sun went down, she took me to the boardwalk in Wildwood where we rode just about every ride there. We also ate at this little cute diner called Danny’s. I decided I liked it so much that one day, I would make it my official ‘spot’. You know, the place where a worker comes up to you and asks you if you wanted ‘the usual’. Yeah. That spot.

And I did. Every week, my friends and I are there having our own little party and the workers are very familiar with us because we’ve been going there since we were in about 7th grade.

But anyways, my mom left the next day and I had no idea what ever happened to her which is why I took comfort in my aunt. So, when she died, I realized that my mother is truly gone and that I wanted to find her. Now, I knew that was nearly impossible but I believed in miracles and I hoped for the day I would be reunited with my actual mom who ran away on me 12 years ago.

Onto the Yankees subject, I had asked Nina to go with me and she said she would. But on the day we were scheduled to go, she called and said she could not come because her parents were fighting and it was a pretty bad one and that she needed to stay home to make sure nothing too bad happened to either of her parents. Therefore, I was in need of a Yankees partner, so I called up my uncle and he eagerly agreed to go with me.

And let me tell you this much. It was the most fun I’d had since my aunt’s death and I was feeling a lot happier.