Life 2

Xana sauntered down the hall past the construction. Lotor had the Valkyries working hard to complete at least one Voltron Destroyer, as he dubbed the massive machine. Those not working on the beast were repairing the outside weapon array. And she, of course, was supervising.

She'd spent many a time walking down similar gloomy halls. She'd started at the bottom, running errands for Galra generals. Then she fought her way to a higher position, especially after Zarkon was killed and Lotor lit the torch. His supposed death had opened more doors to conquer a whole galaxy and solidify her position as a ruthless conqueror and adversary.

Sadly, she couldn't say the same about her daughter. While Ezor and Zethrid took the opportunity given to them, Acxa vanished from her sight, appearing as a form of hero in one galaxy or another. She might as well have been an agent of the Blade of Marmora.

Xana let the disappointment subside. Especially when Lotor came down the hall. Starlight in tow. Her outfit shared similarities to a Valkyrie's, disgracing the Galra in style and color. Lotor didn't seem to care, eyeing her absurdly long hair with a slight glimmer.

"Emperor Lotor," Xana said. "Repairs are coming along. The Voltron Destroyer should be finished within the hour."

"Very good." He kept going down the hall, Starlight on his hip.

"Emperor, do you think it wise to keep such a creature close?"

He stopped, Starlight stopping with him. "This creature is of my own creation. Why should I be concerned?"

"I simply think you should have a general that's loyal to your throne, not pulled by invisible strings."

A grin darkened his face. "That's what I wanted when Acxa and her band of warriors came to me. Yet, one by one, they betrayed me. If I must pull this darling's invisible strings to have a loyal bodyguard, then so be it. I'd rather not try again with your family line." He left, Starlight following like the lap dog she was.

Xana wrinkled her nose. At least she was on Lotor's good side. Would give her enough time to take him down and claim his place. Empress was a much better title than second in command. She continued down the hall, not noticing the two Paladins and three warriors hiding in the corridor.

Pidge had transported Keith, Aurora, Nix, and Nirti onto the base. The Green Lion's cloak had fooled the station's radar, giving them easy access through a small loading bay. So far, no problems.

Nix pulled the group into a huddle. "We need to take down the weapon array and disable the radar. Opening the main hangar doors is another priority. Especially if we want to get our forces out."

"Splitting up is our best option," Pidge said. "You and Aurora take the weapon array. Keith and I can handle the radar and hangar doors from the main computer." Nirti moved closer to Pidge, her cat climbing onto the Paladin's shoulders. "You can come too."

Keith broke from the huddle. "Stay hidden. We need to keep the element of surprise for as long as we can."

"We'll do our part. Just get Star." Nix and he nodded and the teams broke off to their assignments.

Nix and Aurora found their way to the damaged weapon array. Valkyries worked hard to repair the massive cannons. Two Galra soldiers stood watch.

Nix knocked out the first with her hammer. Aurora took down the second with a stun blast. The Valkyrie turned to the commotion. Some of their gazes fell at the sight of Nix. "Anyone want redemption?" Hope filled their eyes. "Good. We need to knock out these cannons."

Keith, Pidge, and Nirti slipped past another patrol. The closer they got to the main hub, the more Galra troops they saw. They finally reached the door. Two guards stood by the entrance.

"This'll be fun." Pidge moved toward the corridor when Nirti held her back.

The halfling walked out into the hall, cat on her shoulder. "Hey, what are you doing in this area?" one of the guards asked. Nirti made quick work of them, smashing their heads together. She opened the door and rushed in. Screams filled the room as the sound of tearing metal haunted the paladins' ears.

Nirti returned, beckoning them into the room. Pidge avoided the torn robot bodies, Nirti and Keith tying up the unconscious soldiers. "How'd you do that all on your own?"

Nirti's lips curled into a smile.

Pidge accessed the main computer. Multiple camera feeds came to life. Systems lit up on the screen, measuring air pressure, gravity, and functionality of the station.

The alarm triggered on the lower levels. Nix, Aurora, and an army of Valkyries raced across Pidge's screen, attacking all Galra in sight. Some Valkyries remained loyal to Lotor, coming up against the rebellion. Regardless, the weapon array was inoperable.

"Not gonna do much since they know we're here," Pidge said, "but I'm taking down the radar so they won't see the Atlas coming." Nirti pointed at the icon for the hangars. "I'm working on it. Closing the ship deployment and opening the loading bays."

Keith watched the cameras. Lotor appeared on one, set on reaching some position. Star followed close behind. Until he sent her off in the opposite direction. Keith adjusted his helmet and ran for the door. "Keep track of Star. Tell me where to find her." He raced down the halls, sword extended. Pidge directed him past a few corridors until he got a visual.

He chased her, following strands of golden hair past corners. She ducked into a doorway. He ran in. The hangar had damaged ships farther down to the left. Claw marks from the Black Lion scraped the doors, keeping them open to the stars. It was abandoned, shadows covering the area. A light would flicker here or there.

His footsteps echoed slightly on the metal. A chill ran down his spine. Keith turned and blocked Star's strike. She remained emotionless, a toy for Lotor's enjoyment. They danced around each other, blades locking. "Star, I don't want to fight you. We're friends."

She slid away and jabbed. He dodged. "This isn't you. You would never help the Galra empire. Not after what they did to your family." She slashed and stabbed, Keith blocking her actions. "The Galra destroyed your world. Killed your parents. Lotor plans to do the same to many others. He's your enemy, not me."

Star disarmed him with the tip of her blade. She shoved him against the wall. Keith ducked before her blade cut through his throat. He grabbed her from behind, pressing his Galra blade against her throat. "Come on, Star. You need to remember. The forest where we were hunted. We stopped the Lazados and you brought me to Valkara. You asked about this knife. What it meant to me."

She elbowed him in the gut and slammed her head into his nose. She took the knife while he grabbed her second blade. They clashed, her fingers clenched around the black hilt. "It was a gift from my mom. You protected it because it reminded you of your dad's gift. The medallion from the Red Lion. You gave it to me the last time we saw each other. Even though it means the world to you."

They separated, motionless. "I know what you said before sending me into space. How you wouldn't lose me too. Well I'm here, and I'm not losing you."

She stayed still, waiting for something. Keith turned. The blade pierced his chest. Lotor pushed the jagged sword in until the hilt touched his suit. "How sweet. Yet so pointless." He ripped it out. Keith collapsed to the floor, gasping for breath.

"I wondered why you were so insistent on speaking with her. Seems you formed a fatal attachment." Lotor circled Star, stroking her hair. "I've been where you are. But don't worry; the pain will subside soon."

Keith kept his eye on Star as he reached under his shirt. His fingers struggled to wrap around the string, shaking as the world grew darker.

"You should've sent someone else. My creation will destroy the Voltron Paladins one by one. My fighters have already launched and are attacking your Earth ship. The galaxy will bow to me and my empire. No one will stand in my way."

Keith took in one more breath. "Starlight." The medallion rested on the floor, his hand limp over the metal. He shut his eyes, wishing for one more moment.