Hunted 1

Keith blinked in the darkness while he peeled himself off the cold metal floor. He didn't go far. The cage around him rattled when he hit his head. He choked on musty air, the smell of something rotting filling his nostrils. Despite his head spinning like a top, he tried to remember what had happened.

Last thing that came to mind was the battle on Earth. A mysterious creature powered by an Altean nearly destroyed them and the Atlas. After some recovery, Voltron had gone out to investigate where the war machine might have come from. They'd ventured out of the Milky Way and... He went blank.

Someone rattled the cage. "Wake up, space boy!" The voice hissed like a serpent but had a husky undertone that threw him off. "Time to play."

Keith grabbed the wire of the cage. "I'm not playing any games. Let me out now."

The creature laughed, his voice echoing off the walls.

Light blinded his eyes as the ground fell out from underneath him. He hit a beach of black sand, white foam spraying his face. Thick clouds filled the sky. A forest of dark trunks and tangled vines lay a few yards away.

Laser blasts rained on the sand. Keith scurried to his feet and bolted toward cover. A large cargo ship sat in the sky, cables tumbling to the ground so the attackers could slide down to the ground. Other people raced toward the trees, some cut short by a shot to the back or head.

Keith went to grab his bayard. Nothing. His suit was gone, along with his weapons. He bolted into the tree line, weaving through the forest and shoving large leaves out of his path. The jeering laughter became a distant annoyance. He climbed into a tree, pulling himself up with vines.

He caught his breath, glaring at his bare feet and worn jeans. Who were these guys and why'd they take his stuff? More importantly, why were they chasing him and others into a forest just to kill them? He froze, feeling the back of his neck. A puncture wound, still fresh. They'd transported him in order to hunt him in an environment they probably controlled. He was prey, stuck in a jungle he didn't know without any protection. Fantastic. Lance would get a kick out of this.

Keith made his way through the forest, quickly and quietly. The less he drew attention to himself, the longer he had to come up with a way out of this mess. His memory was still foggy, but he could think straight. Well enough that he grabbed a broken branch just in case.

Hours passed before something stirred. The rustle of brush and quick feet veered toward his vicinity. He darted behind a wide trunk, watching the soft earth.

A squeal preceded the collapse of a young girl. Long white blond bangs covered her eyes, the rest collected in mangled double braids. Her pale skin had old scratches and bruises. Her sleeveless hoodie and navy skirt were weathered, her tights torn. A cable tied her ankles together, but she struggled to keep moving.

Before she could get far, a large foot stamped on her ankles and kept her in place. A man with green scales and a lizard-like head towered over her. Blue spikes tipped purple lined the back of his head and neck, extended toward his short tail. His leather jacket and cargo pants were fresh. He slung his rifle over his shoulder and pulled a large blaster off his belt. "Must say, youngling, you're a hard one to catch. Too bad the fun's over." The blaster hummed to life while she struggled to free herself.

Keith jumped out from behind the tree and swung his branch at the gun. It caught the lizard-man in the chest, throwing him into a tree. "Go. Get out of here."

The girl untied herself and ran toward the trees, running her fingers along the course bark.

Keith came at the lizard again. He grabbed the branch and shoved the paladin back. He pounced, snapping his jaws. Keith threw him off and stumbled to his feet. The lizard grabbed his rifle, firing into the trees.

Keith ran toward cover, feeling the heat of the lasers. One split his weapon in two, leaving a frayed edge. He still gripped the tapered end. He spun round, tossing the branch like a knife. It pierced the lizard's chest, a yelp escaping his lungs before green blood started to pour. He collapsed on top of it, the branch digging in deeper.

Keith took a breath as blood soaked into the ground. His legs buckled underneath him and he fell into blood. Red blood. He grew dizzy as he grasped his side, trying to stop the bleeding despite the burn. He hit the dirt, everything fading fast. He thought he heard footsteps before the world went black.