Secrets 3

Keith pulled the shirt around him, tying the belt around his waist. He slipped his knife behind his back.

            Star entered the room, carrying a tray with bread and milk. "Thought you'd like some breakfast. Raven is hosting the school this morning and letting them tour the palace, so you have to stay in here."

            "No problem." He eyed the food as she set it down on the bed. Their eyes locked, Star held to the floor.

            "Something wrong?"

He pulled the knife from behind his back and held the hilt out to her. "Xana came in here last night and gave me my knife. I know Raven doesn't want me to have weapons, so I figured I'd give it to you."

She took the hilt and ran her thumb along the stone. "Why'd she come here?"

"She wanted to know where Acxa was. I didn't tell her anything."

Star kept her eye off him. "Smart move. Acxa said she wanted to avoid her mother." She paused. "She knew Xana wouldn't approve of her feelings for... someone."

Keith snickered. "Don't bother being vague. I know."

She glanced at him. "I guess the feelings are mutual?"

He grabbed the bread and leaned on the stone bed frame. "Not my type." Star rolled her eyes. "Our relationship is based on not killing each other. And I'm honestly not interested."

"Tell her that. Cause she's quite interested." They laughed a little. She looked more closely at the blade in her hands. "You looked specifically for this when we showed you your gear. Why?"

"My mom left it for me when I was little. She was an alien that had landed on Earth. She had to go back to her planet, so she left me and my father. Only thing I knew about her was that knife."

Star's hand reached toward her chest, probably where her medallion was hidden under her clothes. The silence held them in place, a connection forming between them.

She tucked the knife in her belt behind her back. "I'll take care of it for you."

He smiled slightly. "Thanks."

Star exited the room and closed the door. She paused at the silver entrance. Her medallion felt warm underneath her suit, similar to the knife now tucked behind her back. Only a reminder of the past she had told him. A story left incomplete.

She'd guarded her past from strangers because of the danger it could put her in. Keith was the first in a long time she had told. At least, told what she had desired to tell. He was trustworthy, but there was no telling how the rest of her tale would affect him. The part about the ship her father had found on their world, the one he had used to attack the Galra fleet. The one that, inevitably, changed her life for the best and worst.

"Starlight." Xana came down the hall.

"Lieutenant Starlight. What is it?"

She didn't miss a beat. "A Galra flag ship entered orbit. The commander of it has requested a meeting with Lady Raven."

"Does she know?"

"Yes. Empress Haggar is landing now." The air in the hall chilled.

"Why would she be here?"

"Learning why is your job. Lady Raven requests your presence in the throne room."

Valkyries came down the hall, spears and laser swords at the ready. Star moved quickly to the throne room, Xana on her heels.