Hunted 2

He felt warmth. Voices and the crackle of a blaze haunted his ear. Blurred vision showed a dark area. A figure came into view near him.

            Keith gasped and shot up, immediately regretting it. His side screamed.

            "Take it easy. You're only going to make your wound worse. Lie down." The figure started to clear as she gently laid him down. Her bright blond hair sat in a ponytail on top of her head, side bangs brushing her left brow. Set in her soft pale face were vibrant blue eyes. Despite her bruises and scratches, she seemed refreshed and prepared.

            "Who? Where?" were the only words he could get out. It hurt to breathe, much less talk. However, he caught glimpses of his surroundings past the girl in front of him. Wood walls formed a carved oval-shaped room, the construction seamless. He lay on the wooden floor beside a small fire, the blaze contained in a circlet of rocks and some kind of moss. He knew someone else sat inside this place, but he couldn't get a good view.

            The blond turned away momentarily, collecting something while she spoke. "We'll postpone the formalities a little while longer. All you need to know is that you're safe." She came back, bringing her arm around his bare shoulders while she brought a small bowl of liquid to his lips. "Drink."

            Keith took a tentative sip and immediately gagged. "What's that?"

            "Watered down sap from the Gunga tree. It nourishes your body and helps you heal, so ignore the taste and drink." She brought the fluid to his mouth again, giving him no choice.

            He drank, swallowing every two drops. It started to settle in his stomach after she stopped forcing it down his throat. "Thanks."

            Her bangs blocked her face while she stoked the fire. "I'm returning a favor. Otherwise, I would've left you on the ground."

            "How comforting." She didn't respond. Her black tank top straps connected behind her back, leaving her shoulders and back mostly exposed. She wore torn tights, navy fabric knotted around her left leg. Her hair lay in tangles, longer than Allura's. "You've been here a while."

            "We all have." The voice was higher pitched, coming from his left. He turned his head, finding the girl he'd rescued sitting cross-legged in the corner. She stared into the flames with little expression. "First time a hunter's been killed though." She perked up instantly.

            Something shuffled through the entrance just beyond the fire. Keith started to sit up, ready to fight.

The blond pushed him down before his side could stop him. "What part of "you're injured" are you not understanding? I used the last of our bandages on you, so stop sitting up."

A guy slipped into the room, shirt and pants ripped and brown hair matted. A girl with cropped red hair followed, dressed similarly to the blond. "Uncooperative patient?"

The blond handed her a bowl of the draught. "He refuses to lay still, but he's listening pretty well."

The red head downed the drink, hardly flinching. The guy hesitated but drank with a cringed brow.

Keith cleared his throat, bringing attention back to himself. "Good time for names?"

The guy scoffed, earning a glare from the caretaker. "I've been with these girls for years and all I've gotten out of them is Blondie, Kid, and Manners."

The red head, probably Manners, crinkled her nose. "The most it's been is a few months and 'scuse us for being careful, twit. You should be grateful to even be hiding out with us."