Life 1

Allura leaned on the powered-down holo-table. She didn't know much about Raven or the Valkyries, but she felt their pain. Attending the short funeral and walking through the procession of loss reminded her of when she awoke from stasis and found out her father was no more. To make matters worse, Lotor had returned. Her one fatal mistake.

            "You all right?" Lance came up beside her, resting his hand on hers. He played the fool more times than not, but when she needed him, he'd be right there. She appreciated his concern now.

"Thinking about my father. Though I am sure we have different things to be concerned with."

"Like Lotor being alive and having unlimited access to quintessence? Yeah, we've got a few problems."

The doors burst open. Tearful Valkyries stood at attention as Nix and Keith entered the room. "We cannot allow this injustice to continue," Nix said. She stopped at the top of the steps, looking out at those remaining. "Lotor will come for us. For all beings throughout this universe. We cannot hide like cowards. We must stand and fight back!"

The blue alien from before, dubbed Klio, stepped forward. "We have only a fourth of our forces. Lotor rules over the rest and has Starlight under his control. How can we fight back?"

Keith held his place on the steps. "We fight smarter. A small boarding party goes in and clears the way for the rest. We bring Star back to her senses and take down Lotor. For good."

"We understand if you don't wish to come," Nix continued. "But Keith and I cannot stand by and let Lotor claim this universe. Those who are willing, join us in taking down the Galra emperor. We will bring back our sisters, all of them. For Raven." The Valkyrie stood tall, wiping away their tears.

Aurora lifted a fist. "In her memory. For Raven." The salute circled the room. Brave faces filled the air.

Allura yanked Keith to the top of the stairs and pulled him into the throne room. Lance shut the doors behind them. Allura didn't hold back her scream. "Are you mad!"

Keith turned on her. "Maybe. But you don't have to fight with us."

Her blood boiled. "Lotor will kill all of you the moment you come out of the wormhole. We need a plan and reinforcements."

"Reinforcements will take too long. Besides, the Valkyrie aren't loyal to Lotor. Those on board that station chose him out of fear. The sooner we go in, the quicker they'll realize they don't need to follow him."

Pidge crossed her arms. "And if everyone, I don't know, dies in the process? What happens then?"

"We at least die trying."

Lance put a hand on his shoulder. "Dude, this is suicide. We need more time to come up with a plan."

"We don't have time." The teens stared each other down.

"Leave the room guys. We'll only be a few minutes." Allura started to protest, but Pidge and Hunk led her out before the fireworks began. Lance kept his eye on Keith. "Be honest. Are you and Star more than friends?"

Inevitably, Keith's gaze dropped. "Didn't get a chance to find out. Everything seemed to move that way, but the closest we got was before she jettisoned me from Haggar's cruiser." He could feel her kiss, silky bangs brushing his cheek.

Lance witnessed it in his eyes. "You think you can get her back."

"The longer she's Lotor's puppet, the harder it'll be."

"You don't even know if you can bring her back. Or if she feels the same way."

"Didn't stop you."

Lance glanced at the wall. "Touché."

"Whether she shares my feelings or not, I can try to free her from Lotor. She deserves that much." Silence blanketed the room.

Lance sighed. "If you plan on doing this, I'll back you up."

Keith nodded. "Thank you." The boys stepped out of the throne room, met with questioning glares.

"Going after your girlfriend, then?" Allura asked. Lance and Keith glanced at each other for a moment. "Oh please. Do I look like I'm stupid?"

"And we eavesdropped," Hunk admitted.

Keith held in his frustration. "Yeah, I'm going after Star."

Pidge wiped off her glasses. "Actually, we are going after Star. With new forces backing Lotor and his surplus of power, our best bet is to sneak onto the station. Green is the only ship that can go in undetected."

"And we'll probably need Voltron," Hunk added. "Unless you want to fight giant superpowered robots with one lion."

"Paladins." Nix stood on the steps, giant hammer over her shoulder. "Are you coming?"

Keith strode toward her. "With you all the way."

She smiled. "Good. Then perhaps you'd like some extra weapons for the ground assault." She descended the stairs and walked out of the palace. A left away from the village and they reached a bunker. Valkyries moved in and out, arms loaded with spears and shields. Everyone doubled their stash, knowing they'd have to fight multiple opponents at once.

Keith's mind spun round, trying to believe he could get through to Star. Yet every way he looked at it, she hadn't responded to him before. What would make this different?

Within the organized chaos, Aurora had a separate corner. She tightened her gauntlets and strapped a bow staff to her back while Keith came up. "Something to say, Keith?" He paused a moment. "Your boots make a different sound than the Valkyries', and you're the only paladin who would come to talk to me."

"I should stop being surprised." He came a little closer. "Do you think I can help Star?"

"What makes you think you can't?"

"She looked right at me and nothing. I'm wondering if maybe someone else will do better."

Aurora tilted her head toward him. "You mean me."

He untied Star's medallion from around his neck and placed it in her hand. "You might need this. It's –"

"Star's." Nix walked up, staring at the medallion. "How'd you get it?"

"She gave it to me."

The girls turned to each other. Aurora immediately handed it back. "If that's the case, you're the one who can get through to her."

"Why?"

Nix scoffed. "Few know that medallion exists. And only one neck has worn it. Until now." The silver and red metal glistened in the torchlight. "She gave it to you for a reason. One that meant more than keeping her father close." They walked away, leaving him with that knowledge.

He tied the cord around his neck. Whether he was enough or not, he had to try.