24. hold on tight

Start from the beginning

"No." He answered me quickly. "It's not a joke Scarlett." Jace sighed over the phone. "I know it sounds weird but you need to finish it to understand. I have to go." Was all he said before he hung up the phone. I sat there completely dumbfounded.

I really didn't want to read a word more in that diary after all the trouble I've caused. But Jace insisted that I finish it.

---

The doorbell ringing is what woke me out of my sleep. I must have been so tired after talking to Jace on the phone that I fell asleep. I quickly jumped off my bed heading downstairs to open to door for Jesse.

I opened the door widely to see Jesse standing there with a lazy smile over his lips. "Hey Scarlett." He beamed.

"Hey come inside." I gestured for him to come inside and he did. "JJ should be here in a second." My back turned to him as I went to go call JJ to come downstairs. "JJ! Jesse is here!" I yelled.

A few minutes later JJ came into the kitchen and sat down at the table which Jesse and I were already sitting at. "Hey man." Jesse said looking at JJ hesitantly.

JJ threw him a small smile. "Hi Jesse nice to meet you." JJ gulped looking over at me. The more I looked between them, the more I could see how uncomfortable they were around each other. I definitely have to break the ice.

"Both of you," I pointed to JJ and Jesse. "need to relax." I laughed loudly. "I don't want this to be some awkward meeting. All I want is for all of us to talk."

"Right." Jesse laughed nodding his head in agreement. "Scarlett told me how you feel about me." He looked over at JJ. "I get that you're her older brother and I'm her abusive ex-boyfriends younger brother, but I just want you to know that I'm not Adam because he's my half-brother."

I looked at Jesse with sadness and I could tell JJ felt bad too. Everyone automatically thought that because Jesse was Adam's brother they were exactly the same person. That's one of the reasons that attracted me towards Jesse. He was like the younger brother that I never had, as weird as that sounds we're both just trying to move past Adam. "That's the most important thing I want you to know JJ." I mumbled as my eyes shifted towards my brother. "He's not Adam, you don't need to feel threatened."

JJ nodded his head slowly. "I understand." JJ eyed Jesse. "Sorry man. I just want Scarlett to feel safe." He smiled weakly. "She's my little sister and I failed the first time."

I frowned at JJ. "You didn't fail okay?" I told JJ and he laughed. "It was no ones fault here."

"No problem JJ." Jesse said. "I completely understand."

I let out a sigh of relief. "Good talk." I nodded, "See? That wasn't so hard." Jesse and JJ both laughed in agreement.

JJ stood up onto his feet. "I'll leave you two alone." He smiled at me and then he looked over at Jesse. "Nice meeting you again."

"Thank you so much." I smiled looking over at Jesse once JJ had left the room. "I think that JJ feels so much more comfortable with you now."

"It's no problem." Jesse promised. "He's seems like a cool guy when he doesn't want to kill me." I laughed shaking my head at him. "Hey Scar. . ." Jesse's body language suddenly changed and his words were now a mumble. "I want to talk more about Adam." He paused. "Only if that's okay with you of course."

"Okay." I was hesitant but Jesse deserves to know more about his brother. A different side of Adam perhaps. "What do you want to know?" I shrugged.

"How was Adam like when you first met him?" He questioned me.

All the memories of Adam and I came flooding back into my mind. I cringed. "Well," I shrugged my shoulders. "Adam was a year older than me so off the bat I thought that I would never have a chance with him." A soft laugh left my lips. "All my friends told me to stay away from him but I didn't listen because he was older and he actually liked me. Or so I thought." I looked down at the floor. "Adam was very charming to say the least. Instanly he had me wrapped around his finger. Randomly he would to do things like bring me flowers and take me out to dinner. It made me fall in love with him all over again."

Jesse smiled sadly at me. "When did things start to get bad?"

I closed my eyes shut trying to block out the pain. "Deep down I always knew there was something off about him. He said that he lived with his aunt and uncle, but he never told me why. He never talked about his parents or you for that matter." I looked up at Jesse. "It started slowly, at the time it was almost our one year anniversary and little by little he would start to get controlling. He would tell me that I had to cut off all my friends. He told me what I could wear and get this," I laughed. "he would even tell me what I could eat. When I didn't listen to what he wanted, he would just hit me."

Jesse gasped. "That's horrible Scarlett. I am so sorry." Jesse held up his hands. "You don't have to talk about this anymore if you don't want to."

"Oh no it's okay." I smiled suddenly. "You know I haven't even told Jace all of that."

"You can talk to me about anything Scarlett you know that." Jesse whispered.

I nodded my head quickly. "Thank you." A smile formed onto my lips. "What happened to me doesn't define who I am. I'm finally happy and I don't want to lose the person I love." I said frowning suddenly remembering everything that happened between Jace and I. I really didn't want to lose him.

Jesse smiled at me warmly. "Then don't lose him." He said and I looked up at Jesse because he was absolutely right.

If I don't want to lose Jace than I don't have to.

---

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. School is coming up so soon omg... kill me now. Lol.