Part 1

Speeding over the limit, I pass the red light and curse loudly. If I'm not more careful, I'll be joining by dear husband in a hospital bed. What an idiot, what an absolute idiot that man is! He's going through midlife crisis and I have to drop everything I'm doing, because he injured himself.

Parking my car, I jump out and do the best I can to rush inside. It's not that easy with heels. Since, Robert called me himself, I know exactly which room he's in. Taking off my sunglasses, I place them on the top of my head and reach for the handle, then I stop. Was it really 7 in the end or was it 8?

I see a man in a white coat, who I assume is a doctor. I approach him to ask. "Excuse me, could you tell me which room Mr. Moore is in?"

"And you are?"

"Wife, I'm his wife." I reply.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Dr. Buckingham. Your husband's right in there." He points to the room with the number 7 at the end. "I'm his doctor."

"Oh. Is he okay? I mean, besides being a complete idiot."

Dr. Handsome, I mean, Dr. Buckingham chuckles, nodding his head. "Your husband is just fine. Well, he's bruised and I'm sure, very sore, he's also got a broken arm, but he'll survive." He smiles softly at me. "You don't have anything to worry about. I see a lot of this type of injuries, when men in their late forties attempt extreme sports."

"Tell me about it..." I sigh, rolling my eyes. "And who do you think is going to take care of him?"

"I'm certain you'll do a wonderful job, Mrs. Moore." He laughs lightly and I smile.

"Call me Stevie." I say, before turning around and finally going in to see Robert.

My first instinct is to yell at him. I want to call him about a hundred different names, but... he is my husband, I married him, I have to try and support him through this stressful period of his life.

"You didn't have to come, Stevie." He says and I can tell just how uncomfortable he is.

"Well, it's not every day you call me and tell me you're in hospital. I was worried." I tell him, approaching his bedside. Pulling up a chair, I take a seat. "What made you think buying a jet ski was a brilliant idea, when you haven't even been on one in your whole entire life?"

Smiling sheepishly at me Robert answers. "I wanted to try something new."

"You could have rented the damn thing, Rob. Now it's going into the garage with the rest of the new things you wanted to try, like your motorcycle and-"

"Steph, I get it. I get it." He sighs, laying his head on the pillow. "Nothing happened, I'm fine."

"Tell that to your broken arm." I sit back and rummage through my purse for my phone. "I've got to call the kids."

"Don't. There's no need to worry them."

"They're going to ask, when they see you anyway." I shrug, speed dialing our daughter, Caleigh. "I'll let her know, I'm coming home late tonight."

"Stevie, no. You don't have to stay here with me. You've seen me, you know I'm okay. The doctor ran some tests, he said that if everything's fine, I'll be released tomorrow."

Since Caleigh hasn't picked up her phone yet, I press the button to cancel the call and toss my phone back into my purse. "Is there anything I can do for you?" I stand up and lean over him, brushing hair out of his face.

"I'm fine." Robert repeats for the nth time and I give him a sympathetic smile.

"You're an idiot, you know that?" I ask, which is really not a question, it's just the truth.

"But you love me." He shrugs, then winces in pain.

There's a knock on the door, then I see the handle move and a young woman comes in. Her eyes shift from Robert to me and she appears as if she's been caught doing something she shouldn't.

"I- I'm sorry. Wrong room." She gives us a small smile, before leaving.

I turn to Robert. "I had to ask Dr. Buckingham which room you were in, too. I was in such a hurry, I forgot."

"Yeah." He chuckles nervously, looking away.

I spend about an hour with my husband, until he nearly forces me out of the room. He tells me, he knows I've had a long day and I should drive home and rest. I kiss him goodbye and promise to come pick him up the next day if everything is indeed alright with him.

On my way out, I'm stopped by the same doctor. "Have a good night, Mrs. M- Stevie."

"You too, Dr. Buckingham." I smile at him.

I almost wish, he'd asked me to call him by his name too.