Chapter 20 - Recover ♡

I was in hospital for another long 5 days until I was discharged. My wound was healing rather well but I still felt extremely weak. Throughout the time I had spent with Shouta by my side I realised how lucky I really was. I realised that I didn't deserve him in the slightest but for whatever reason, he cared for me deeply. That was all I could hang on to.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, Shouta opened the door to his house before wrapping his arm around me and pulling me in.

"I don't think I could've stayed another night in that hospital" he huffed in his lazy voice.

"You didn't have to stay there with me" I pinched his arm slightly, not resulting in any reaction from the stoic man.

"I'll always stay with you." His expression became soft as he leanned in to gently kiss me. I felt his smile as his rough lips pressed against mine.

"Forever." Before I knew it tears were falling down my cheeks at an alarming rate.

Sitting me down on his sofa he pulled me into a warm embrace while stroking my hair gently. Ever since I sacrificed myself for him he had became much more affectionate towards me. I wanted that moment to last forever, I felt safe in his toned arms. After all that had happened we were still standing. It was a miracle.

"You know you have to go back to work tomorow, right?" I pulled away reluctantly from him looking deeply into his tired eyes.

"I can stay with you longer." His voice almost seemed desperate as if he was afraid to ever leave me alone again. Part of me felt that way too. However, I had to be strong for myself...for Shouta. Both of us knew all too well that life would not come to a halt for our benefit. All we could do was meander on.

"The kids need you. I'll be okay" my smile was genuine. I could see the conflict building in his sharp features as he contemplated on what to do.

After what seemed like absolute hours of deciding, he eventually nodded. Not long after we both ended up cuddling into eachother on the sofa. Savouring each others warmth as if it was the last moments.

"(Y/n)" his voice reverberated through my ears, sending tingles down my spine. I simply hummed in response as I felt my body drift off into a slumber. "Wake up, I'm talking." He pinched me, making me hiss in pain slightly.

"What is it?" I pressed my arches back into his chest, stealing the heat that radiated from him.

"Why would you sacrifice yourself?"

My body tensed up at the question. I rolled around so that we were now face to face. The sudden intimacy made me blush intensely, however I attempted to hold my composure.

"To protect you-"

"You almost died."

"So? What's your point?"

He scoffed in displeasure, frowning at me intensely. "I want you to promise me something." Not once did I break eye contact, humming to signal I was listening. "Over everyone." He paused for a second, almost as if he were hesitating. "Protect yourself first."

"Shouta"I mumbled almost in audibly. "You know I can't do that."

He growled, pulling me into him tighter. "Your just going to have to try." Before I managed to answer I felt myself drifting off as his touch lingered on my body.

"I'll try."

---

Flames.

The encased the building in a creepy aura. I felt shivers blast through my tense body as high pitched screams rung throughout the building. My eyes fell into a blink.

Everything was rubble.

I blinked again.

I was underneath the rubble.

A small girl lay there,heaving. Any one of these breaths would be her last one. She was in my reach but I couldn't grab her, I was frozen to the spot. Muffled voices rang through my head, makig it throb in pain.

Save her.

Run away.

She's going to die.

You're going to die.

I was a hero, it was obvious that I should lay down my life for her, but why did I feel so conflicted. Soon, we were swallowed by flames,leaving nothing but ash and charred rubble.

The girl was gone. Nothing but a pitch black shadow in her place. I watched in absolute despair as the black silhouette danced around the room infront of me, before coming to a hault.

"You left me to die." It hissed, walking towards me slowly. My feet automatically backed up, only to be met by a hard wall. I tried to scream, to apologise, to say something but I couldn't.

Why couldn't I say anything.

The shadow shifted in shape, becoming taller and bulkier. It was the shape of a man, he was rugged and looked somewhat familair. Before I knew it he was encased by a metallic substance.

"You're a monster." He simply stated, rage in his eyes.

The silhouette shifted again, becoming slightly taller and thinner. I felt a hot tear stream down my cheek. The flames returned, surrounding me and the shadow figure. I inhaled sharply,trying to spit out any words.

"Sh-Shouta?" Terror was evident in my voice but he didn't flinch once. In fact, he contuined to walk closer and closer to me until we were face to face. His red eyes pierced the darkness, meeting with the flames in distance behind him. I choked as his scarf lunged through he smoke, wrapping around my neck.

"I loved you."