Believe in Me- Chapter 32: Distractions

When the trial had finished for the day, John and Flora went to collect Sherlock who was signing for his personal property. John was leaning against the desk with his arms folded and an annoyed expression on his face.

"What did I say?" He asked. "I said, don't get clever."

"I can't turn it on and off like a tap," Sherlock retorted taking a bag of items from the custody officer sat at the desk. He turned to John and Flora as they began to walk away.
"Well?"
"Well what?" John looked confused.
"You were there for the whole thing, up in the gallery, start to finish," Sherlock said.
"Like you said it would be. He sat on his backside, never even stirred."
Flora realised he was talking about Jim's defending barrister. It was true, the man sat their and didn't a single word or move an inch. Something seemed odd.
"Moriarty's not mounting any defence," Sherlock stated as they left the building and got a cab back to Baker Street.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

"Bank of England, Tower of London, Pentonville," John said as they walked into the living room. "Three of the most secure places in the country and six weeks ago Moriarty breaks in, no one knows how or why." He sat down in his arm chair with a huff and Flora made her way over to the sofa while Sherlock began to pace. She thought it would be best for her to stay out of Sherlock and John's conversation as she could tell there would be issues between them.
"All we know is-"
"He ended up in custody," Sherlock interrupted. He turned round to face John who took a breath before starting.
"Don't do that," he said.
"Do what?" Sherlock questioned as he stopped pacing.
"The look."
"The look?"
"You're doing the look again."
Flora looked equally as confused as Sherlock was.
"Well, I can't see it, can I?"
John indicated to the mirror as if Sherlock was an idiot for not realising it's there. He turned his head and looked at his reflection.
"It's my face," Sherlock shrugged and Flora let out a small laugh at Sherlock's obvious answer.
"Yes, and it's doing a thing," John pointed out. "You're doing a 'we all know what's really going on here' face."
"Well, we do."
"No," John shook his head. "We don't," he indicated to Flora was was happily sat back watching this argument form. "Which is why I find The Face, so annoying."
Sherlock sighed. "If Moriarty wanted the Jewels, he'd have them. If he wanted those prisoners free, they'd be out on the streets. The only reason he's still in a prison cell right now is because he chose to be there." He started to pace again. "Somehow this is part of his scheme and I think the things that went on in China was a lead up to what he's planning next."

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+**+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

The next day was the final day of the trial. John had gone to the Old Bailey by himself leaving Flora and Sherlock back at the flat. They were both sat down in the living room, Flora was still in her pyjamas and reading the newspaper and Sherlock, wearing his favourite blue dressing gown over his suit, seemed to be quietly thinking with his eyes closed.
"Sherlock, are you okay?" Flora asked looking up from the paper.
Nothing.
"Sherlock?"
"What?"
"I said are you okay?" She repeated.
"Yes," he murmured.
"You're not. I can te-"
"Why are you so bothered?" Sherlock's eyes snapped open and were looking at Flora with a cold, blue gaze. "The most dangerous criminal in London is on the loose and I don't have time for any distractions."
"Oh, so I'm a distraction?" Flora asked strictly.
Sherlock closed his eyes again. "Yes," he murmured.
"Wonderful," she said sarcastically. Flora put the paper down and stood up. "I'll leave you with no distractions then." Then she left and went upstairs to her flat.
"Pompous git," she muttered to herself, opening the door and closing it behind her.
Sherlock had watched her as she staggered out and was still staring at the door way. Then his phone began to ring. It was John and Sherlock answered the call without a word.
"Not guilty. They found him not Guilty. No defence, and Moriarty's walked free," John said hurriedly. Sherlock lowered the phone from his ear, still silent.
"Sherlock, are you listening?" John asked. "He's out. You know he'll be coming after you. Sher-"
But John didn't get to finish as Sherlock had ended the call, out the phone down and made his way to the kitchen. He was sure he was going to get a visit from the Devil...